"Twentieth Century Fox"
"Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)"
"Light My Fire"
"Back Door Man"
"I Looked at You"
"End of the Night"
"Take It As It Comes"
"The End"

This album (released 1967), was The Doors' first album, and to this day remains a classic. Each song is great in its own individual way, and consists of a variety of instruments that add a phenomenal aspect to them.

The first song starts out with a (common at the time) Bossa Nova beat. From there it takes off with the guitar, and of course Morrison's vocals which are definitely a memorable part of this album.

Overall, I can't give this album a numbered rating. It is a classic, and therefore represents something which contributed largely to American rock music in the 1960s. I can say, however, that it is an excellent album composed of great music that is remembered still today by many, and I personally enjoy it very much.

2008 Remaster (40th anniversary edition):
I wanted the mention the key differences between the older versions of the album, and the 2008 remaster and remix of it. The newer version features better highs. The drums are also more predominant. While if you hear closely enough, and compare it to older cuts, you might be able to tell that the guitar and organ have been cut out a bit on a few songs. This doesn't affect the quality of the album, unless you really appreciate the sound in the previous versions of the it. Although, in my opinion, previous versions of the album sound a bit more muddy. Certain songs have also been sped up slightly, such as the song 'Light My Fire', because of a student at a university who had come to the conclusion that, judging by the sheet music, the song was supposed to be a full half-step faster. I personally am not a fan of the remixed album, and much prefer older cuts.

Last edited:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: The Doors - The Doors

Amazing band. Amazing album. Amazing review.

Very nicely done :) And I agree, it's tough to rate this album, or any album by The Doors for that matter. Morrison still remains one of my top 5 favorite vocalist of all time.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:clap:

Nice review!

I have this album, and consider it their best album, although I do like L. A. Woman, too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

2008 Remaster (40th anniversary edition):
I wanted the mention the key differences between the older versions of the album, and the 2008 remaster and remix of it. The newer version features better highs. The drums are also more predominant. While if you hear closely enough, and compare it to older cuts, you might be able to tell that the guitar and organ have been cut out a bit on a few songs. This doesn't affect the quality of the album, unless you really appreciate the sound in the previous versions of the it. Although, in my opinion, previous versions of the album sound a bit more muddy. Certain songs have also been sped up slightly, such as the song 'Light My Fire', because of a student at a university who had come to the conclusion that, judging by the sheet music, the song was supposed to be a full half-step faster.

I prefer the original version, for exactly those reasons Changling. However, there is a fantastic MFSL version of this classic, I have that one and it sounds better than the original but didn't mess around with the speed or balance like the 2008 remaster.

Nice review, great record and agree it was Massively important to the American rock scene when it was released.:cheers2

Changeling

Reaction score

I prefer the original version, for exactly those reasons Changling. However, there is a fantastic MFSL version of this classic, I have that one and it sounds better than the original but didn't mess around with the speed or balance like the 2008 remaster.

Nice review, great record and agree it was Massively important to the American rock scene when it was released.:cheers2
Thank you.

I'm gonna check out that MFSL version you had mentioned, because I'm thinking of getting a turntable soon and am personally not a big fan of the remixed ones myself. :/

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The one Doors album I lack in my collection, after a good review Im tempted to change that.

Kuaizi

Reaction score

The one Doors album I lack in my collection, after a good review Im tempted to change that.

You must get it... so good, and the songs have such a unique sound to them. Which is one of the big reasons I like The Doors, is their peculiar sound. Classic album... love me some Doors!

boo on the remasters! :pullhair: I want my "muddy" tracks - never had a problem with sound of this album!

Kink Floyd

Reaction score

Great review, and nice to see you mention the differences of the remaster.

This is the best album to get a guy hooked to the Doors.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thank you.

I'm gonna check out that MFSL version you had mentioned, because I'm thinking of getting a turntable soon and am personally not a big fan of the remixed ones myself. :/

Hard to find but here's the cover of mine Changeling.

7213-doors-debut-mfsl.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online