The Derek Trucks Band - Joyful Noise (2002)

Gamalon

Reaction score
Joyful Noise The Derek Trucks Band
The title really says what this album is about, for me it’s the love of music and sharing it with others
Derek is mainly known for his guitar playing with the Allman Brothers and his playing is influenced by Duane slide playing . But this is not a Southern rock album its influences stretch far wider than that. One moment its exploring Asian and Latin music the next some soul gospel and Blues and then some Fusion. What comes across to me is a band exploring all their influences.
I guess the main criticism is it to eclectic in its approach, it’s not one I hold with myself I love it becayse each time I discover something new I hear a band truly expressing their joy of music.
The music starts off with the album title. It’s a funky soulful piece that’s quickly gets you into the bands vibe. The piece has a real sense of grove going on in it with an almost 60s feel.
So Close so far away is perhaps more soulful and blues based. Some really nice phrasing comes from Derek, who is a great slide player.
Home is where your heart is. A traditional blues based tune and the first vocal track.
Maka Madni is a Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan tune This is based on Quawwali devotional tune and for most people may be a struggle to enjoy, but I love its almost trance like nature.
Kam-ma-lay is South Amercian in feel and Derek’s slide playing shines.
Like anyone else is quite soulful in nature with some really nice vocals
Every good boy is quite modern and mixes some drum and bass into a funky beat with almost alien like guitar playing.
Baby you right has Derek wife on vocals and is another blues based track.
Lockout 13 is avant garde in its approach I guess the drums really stand out for me on this track For me the hardest track to enjoy
Frisel us a jazz rock based tune that is a dedication to the great guitar player Bill Frisel and has some lovely melodic playing

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I really like Derek Trucks. I haven't listened to Joyful Noise, but I do have Songlines & Already Free. Both are fantastic and very rich in blues-rock.

The Derek Trucks Band has taken a huge change, ya know....Trucks and wife Susan Tedeschi joined forces in 2010 as the Derek Trucks-Susan Tedeschi Band.....so I am curious what may come in the future!

I probably should explore some of his earlier works :grinthumb

Gamalon

Reaction score
Derek really talented and if you like the albums mentioned then you should like this one too, but the music is a bit more electic

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I did a bit of searching for Joyful Noise on Youtube.....listened to several tracks from the album. some are Live tracks.

Kam Ma Lay, live track, love the bass lines!

this is a decent blues jam: Home in Your Heart w/ Solomon Burke as vocalist

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online