The Darkness (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
For the last 6ish months The Darkness have been releasing several music videos for their new album coming out next month and sadly none of the videos or song have come close to duplicating the magic that made me fall in love with them oh so long ago.
It was said back in the day that they were a novelty or joke band and while they were very lighthearted that was not quite the case. All of the new material they've been releasing however? It has a great deal less......legitimacy. It's kind of just like Justin is fronting Tenacious D or something. Personally, I don't like it.

That all said however this is probably my favorite new video and song they've released. It's still as ridiculous as you'd expect but they lyrics aren't as.......stupid so I can enjoy it more.

Everybody Have a Good Time

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Re: The Official "The Darkness" Thread

I will agree that The Darkness sort of became a parody of themselves towards the end of their run but I think this time around will be different. Justin has been sober for a few years (which his lack thereof is what broke them up in the first place) now and they've all been around the block a bit at this point so if you ask me I think they might very well end up being the best they've been since their first album came out.

Only time will tell how this album will be received but I think you might be in for a surprise Powerage. They're aiming to make this a good, ol' fashion, bombastic rock record like "Permission to Land" and I find it a little hard to believe that a band that once landed 5 consecutive top 10 singles (and one that hit #11) is just going to fizzle to everyone outside of their loyal fanbase after a long awaited reunion, especially if the can bring out that magic that the original lineup for "Permission to Land" then I think it's quite possible they could have another #1 album. ;)

In the UK, within 18 months they went from being the hottest band in the country to bloated and over exposed. Second hand record shops are full of Permission to Land. And the less said about the second album the better.

The UK is a tiny island and bands can travel from one end to the other in a day. The Darkness will be fondly remembered for the debut, the videos, the falsetto and the cat suits, but as with many acts like Oasis in the 90's and Adele now, they will never be able to recreate the feeling and time period of 2003 / 2004 as it's all been seen and done before.

The US is a totally different market and situation, and could possibly be the way for them to go now. But in the UK, once the hard core fans buy the new album, it will sink without trace. It happens to all rock artists eventually.

It was a great and very weird time when the Darkness burst onto the scene, and no doubt revived a few careers and the name dropping in interviews did some of the oldies a favour. I'm not knocking that at all. But for most people, it was a fad.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I bought a copy of Permission to Land in a secondhand shop today. I haven't played it yet and I am not sure if I like them or not, but they released a moderately funny Christmas record a few years ago.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Someone just linked me to this and.......it is so very very sad.

It sounds like a middle age drag queen is trying to sing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" at a karaoke bar while simultaneously doing a Spongebob impersonation. How those judges and that audience thought that was good is beyond me. He didn't even get the words right. :nw:

Kuaizi

Reaction score
It sounds like a middle age drag queen is trying to sing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" at a karaoke bar while simultaneously doing a Spongebob impersonation. How those judges and that audience thought that was good is beyond me. He didn't even get the words right. :nw:

Haha I watched the video like yeah - that was pretty bad - then I just saw your comment. LOL!!!! Spongebob hahahaha yeah that's why I can't watch those shows. The judges and audience like the crappiest stuff. I always ask myself - do they have ears??

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Part of it I am sure is that those judges never know how to judge rock music. Even that aside though I am at a lose for how any of them can think that was good. It was a bit entertaining in a big, glitzy William Hung kind of way but they genuinely think it sounds great.....that's where I get lost. :uh:

And "Concrete" is easily one of my faves on "Hot Cakes" too. It's really fast and kind of angry. It sounds a bit more serious for a Darkness song. I guess it'd be the token heavy, pissed off sort song they have on every album like "Love On The Rock With No Ice" and "Bald". One thing I'm noticing though is that Justin really has to scream to hit those high notes these days. I mean, it's not like he didn't scream out those high notes before but they don't have the same piercing clarity they used to. Even as recently as two years ago when he was a guest on Meat Loaf's "Hang Cool Teddy Bear" album his vocals sounded as on par as they always had. Maybe age it getting to him or something. I dunno. :confused:

Also, I watched their entire Isle of Wights performance and they put on one hell of a good show. Lots of stuff from their first album, a fair number from the new one, a couple from their second, and even the B-side "The Best Of Me" made an appearance which was sweet because not only do I love that song but it's a great live song. :grinthumb

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I did notice that as well with the very high notes. I couldn't tell if he was trying to make them sound more gnarly or if he was straining to hit them. I hope he isn't losing some of his range - that would be sad :(
They are touring and stopping here in Chicago in January - thinking of trying to get a hold of some tickets~

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online