The Darkness (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The Darkness

What is a 2000's music thread without The Darkness? Less awesome, that's what. :D Anyone who knows me already knows that I have a profound love for this band. They burst onto the scene in 2003 like a big, glammy fireball of supreme guitar work, absurd lyrics, and soaring falsetto that was so over the top the world didn't know what to make of them. Yet somehow for the next 3 years they were one of the worlds most beloved rock bands and they carried the torch of salvation that was to rescue rock music from utter oblivion....and then they broke up.....and then I cried....:wa:

Anyway, is anyone else a fan of them?

You have some great taste CH! Glad to see someone who really appreciates this band and you described them well! :grinthumb

Last edited:
F

FoxyPage

Re: The Official The Darkness Thread

They try to rip off Zeppelin.

That makes Jade angry.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

That makes Jade angry.

I like the third person you used there! :lmao:

Jade, I think it's more an homage myself and they also show a huge Queen influence as well as some AC/DC. I think they sound unique in a lot of ways especially considering the recent music landscape but they definitely show a huge appreciation for their influences! :grinthumb

Oblivion

Reaction score

in interviews they usually say something like "we wouldn't be here without bands such as ..." so :D Jade less angry?

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I like 'em, it's good to hear bands having a bit of fun and not taking it seriously. Plus English Country Garden is pretty good listening.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I have Permission to Land and I think it's a fine disc.

I don't have the second one...:wa:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

You have some great taste CH! Glad to see someone who really appreciates this band and you described them well! :grinthumb

Thank you. The Darkness (Justin Hawkins in particular) has probably influenced me more than any other group in history.

That makes Jade angry.

Robert Plant has accused David Coverdale of ripping off his singing style for years. I really don't see that happened in with Justin's vocals. :heheh:

I don't have the second one...:wa:

Take a trip to the local record exchange or something. I've sure they have it. Mine had at least copies last time I was there. It's a bit of a journey away from the riff rock of "Permission To Land" but branching out isn't always a bad thing right? :D

Since tis the season....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-eslNwGXrI
We have The Darkness' Christmas single!

And for anyone who loved The Darkness I suggest lead singer, Justin Hawkins' new band Hot Leg. They just put out their debut album early this year and it pretty much picks up right where the Darkness left off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnETYe5-GTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLthJnrdEY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vig0MiIOVaQ

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

And for anyone who loved The Darkness I suggest lead singer, Justin Hawkins' new band Hot Leg. They just put out their debut album early this year and it pretty much picks up right where the Darkness left off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnETYe5-GTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLthJnrdEY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vig0MiIOVaQ

Sweet! This is both awesome and confusing at the same time! It's awesome because somehow I missed any word of this band and I'm ecstatic about hearing Justin in a band again and essentially sounding like The Darkness with a different name. I'm confused because I swore his reasoning for leaving The Darkness in the first place was not being able to stay away from the dangers of the rock n' roll lifestyle while touring with a rock band! What changed and if the perspective did change then why not just start up the original Darkness again?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I haven't seen the second at my used shop Harmony but there's always Best Buy.

There's just always something coming out that I need real bad. :heheh:

But it's always on my list.

PTL feeds the fix when I need it though.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Sweet! This is both awesome and confusing at the same time! It's awesome because somehow I missed any word of this band and I'm ecstatic about hearing Justin in a band again and essentially sounding like The Darkness with a different name. I'm confused because I swore his reasoning for leaving The Darkness in the first place was not being able to stay away from the dangers of the rock n' roll lifestyle while touring with a rock band! What changed and if the perspective did change then why not just start up the original Darkness again?

Well if you didn't know of Hot Leg then you might be interested to hear that the other Darkness members have continued on as Stone Gods. Darkness bassist Richie Edwards has taken over vocals (as he did in the Darkness when they would cover AC/DC songs live). Drummer Ed Graham has since had to drop out for health reason which leaves Dan Hawkins (Justin's younger brother) the only original member still with the band. Both Stone Gods and Hot Leg are currently working on new albums that should be out next year.
Well as you may now Justin checked himself into rehab after The Darkness completed their last tour for his cocaine addiction. When he got out that's when he decided to disband the Darkness. This was done not because of Justin's drug problems since he was and still is clean (as of today he's been abstinent of smoking, drugs, and drinking for 1220 days according to his Myspace). The major reason was because of tension between band members because of issues that Justin's drug addiction exacerbated and because Justin was dating the band's manager. The latter of those stepped on the toes of the other band members because they thought it ruined any sense of professionalism and that it would give Justin commanding control over any of the band's decisions. Apparently it was this that got original bassist Frankie Poullain fired from the band (which is a shame because I really liked him).
Some time earlier this year Dan showed up at a Hot Leg and after from persuasion from the Justin and the crowd he join him (and the rest of Hot Leg) on stage for the first time in years to play "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and while Dan turned to Justin and said "You're an absolute c*nt". After the song was over and Dan left the stage Justin told the crowd "I think he meant it." There is still tension obviously but with both Justin and Dan at least being somewhat civil with each other I wouldn't rule out a Darkness reunion one day because they both are the masterminds to each of their respective bands and were the driving force behind The Darkness.

This is a video of when Dan joined Hot Leg on stage

Video removed by YOUTUBE user

I haven't seen the second at my used shop Harmony but there's always Best Buy.

I wouldn't count on it. Best Buy (or at least the Best Buy near me) is impossible to count on for music.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online