The Darkness (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
logo.jpg
Darkness3.jpg

The Darkness Official Website

Discography:

2002 I Believe in a Thing Called Love (EP)
2003 Permission to Land
2005 One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back

After listening to all the tracks in the Iron Maiden thread I was inspired to take out one of my favorite over the top rock groups that were definitely inspired by the theatrics like Maiden as well as elements from rock legends Queen and AC/DC! The Darkness are a love letter to the nostalgia of these groups as well as a tongue in cheek nod to the ridiculous over the top theatrical nature of these groups! The Darkness told us it was okay to sing along in a group and screech rock n' roll at the top of our lungs. Best car music since Bohemian Rhapsody IMO! The Darkness brought back leotards, mythical beast and space ships like they went Back To The Future with Marty McFly and weren't aware of how times have changed! The Darkness were a band that seemed comical in nature but were great enough musicians to be taken seriously or at least they should have been! I LOVE these guys and they give me an enthusiastic energy that only a handful of musicians do!

They released two c.d.s before Lead Vocalist Justin Hawkins left to clean up his life! They were:

Permission to Land

2524-permission-to-land.jpg

which had my favorites:

Black Shuck

Get Your Hands Off My Woman
(My absolute favorite! :grinthumb)

I Believe In A Thing Called Love
(The hit single, I love doing this on karaoke! :lmao:)

and the second and last c.d.:

One Way Ticket To Hell and Back

2525-one-way-ticket-to-helland-back.jpg

which has the standout tracks:

Knockers

Hazel Eyes

Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time
(Good ballad)

Bald
(A rocker about balding! Come on! That's awesome!)

This group has a lot of haters but like The Darkness themselves the fans aren't self aware of how ridiculous we are! We are just having fun and embracing the spirit of rock! So Rock On! :metal:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The Official The Darkness Thread

Awsome find there, SS! A band that makes tribute to Glam rock/metal. :)

I didn't know this band, but the music in the videos is superb.

I will add them to my shopping cart, definitely :D

Oblivion

Reaction score

:D lol magic... They had a monster hit over here with their firs single... I don't like his voice much but in some moods I might consider listening to them...

Great OP by the way :)

Ekans

Reaction score

I love these guys there just plain fun....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

They sound like a fun group after reading your OP, I'll let Magic get them for me saves me the trouble...lol.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The Darkness

What is a 2000's music thread without The Darkness? Less awesome, that's what. :D Anyone who knows me already knows that I have a profound love for this band. They burst onto the scene in 2003 like a big, glammy fireball of supreme guitar work, absurd lyrics, and soaring falsetto that was so over the top the world didn't know what to make of them. Yet somehow for the next 3 years they were one of the worlds most beloved rock bands and they carried the torch of salvation that was to rescue rock music from utter oblivion....and then they broke up.....and then I cried....:wa:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Re: The Darkness

I wouldn't say "fan" but I did buy Permission to Land and tried to introduce them on another forum. I like them a lot.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

"Permission To Land" is at the very least a fun record to listen to every so often right? :)

Neverlife

Reaction score

I've never heard of them. But you said Falsetto, which I like, so I'm probably gonna check them out. Anything in particular I should listen too?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is often thought of as their signature song but really you can't go wrong with anything off of their debut "Permission To Land". Some songs that I suggest are "Love Is Only A Feeling" (for the softer side), "Love On The Rock With No Ice" (for the heavier side), "One Way Ticket" (all about cocaine), "Is It Just Me?" (about love ((as are most of their songs)) and loss), "Girlfriend" (Ridiculous synthy pop song), "Givin' Up" (about heroine), "Black Shuck" (about a dog from hell running around and killing everyone), "Growing On Me" (about genital warts), and I should probably stop myself before I go through all of their songs.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online