The Comedy Definition of prog rock.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:lmao:

How to Form Your Own Prog Band

1. Experimentation

While most rock bands experiment during practice, prog bands are encouraged to do this on their records. When making a prog album, feel free to go beserk in the studio.

Of course, you won't actually sell any albums.

2. Choosing A Band Name

12_how_to_choose_a_prog_band_name.jpg

You really have two options when choosing a prog band name. You can either go with something "simple but random", like Yes, Rush and Camel (may we suggest "Spinach", "Taco" or "Hat"?); or you can use a complex title if it is sufficiently outlandish.

The second route is riskier, but the payoff is enormous if you nail it. Enthusiasts love to quote their favourite obscure bands, and the zanier the better. ("Oh, you haven't heard of Mr Bungle? Next you're going to tell me you aren't a fan of Van Der Graaf Generator.")

Some suggestions to get you started:

Interstellar Spinach
The Epic Taco Project
Hat Dimension
Vintage examples are The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree. In fact, The Vintage Examples would probably work, too.

3. Merge Your Songs

Okay, so you have a record. Ten songs, four minutes apiece.

13_before_tracklist_sensible_album.png

You may need to tweak some of the titles and insert an instrumental track to amp up your "wackiness", but the most important thing you'll need to do is merge those tracks into three or four longer songs.

Don't worry, the songs don't actually need to sound similar, just make sure that they flow into one another. (May we suggest the accompaniment of a flute, viola, trumpet or tambourine to ease the transition?).

You will now be referring to these songs as 'sections'.

Congratulations! You have attained prog rock success. You will now spend the next 30 years hiding from an impossibly devoted cult following while living in your mother's basement.

:heheh:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is all pretty good stuff. but no matter what I will always love Prog,,,I think for me because I also love classical music which has enormous sprawling movements, linked together by a theme and Prog does mirror that when done properly.:tup:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
How to Form Your Own Prog Band

1. Experimentation

2. Choosing A Band Name

3. Merge Your Songs

4- Design artsy album covers. ;)

album-starcastle.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This is all pretty good stuff. but no matter what I will always love Prog,,,I think for me because I also love classical music which has enormous sprawling movements, linked together by a theme and Prog does mirror that when done properly.:tup:

Here Here....same here!! People like us have a good sense of humour.

It's difficult to find other avenues across the net where fans of Prog, like us would find the humour in all this. That's why this forum is # 1!! :cheers:

As a Prog fan myself this parody doesn't bother me at all and is somewhat complimentary...hell it's "CRACKED"..I use to buy that and "MAD" magazine all the time.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I was revisiting this thread again and what a hoot! This whole site is funny and I'm glad I was turned onto it.

:lmao:

Basically, progressive rock is anything-goes rock music. If you feel like adding a 30-second audio clip of some farm animals orgasming in the middle of your song, that's a-ok by progressive standards. Hell, it's even encouraged. Literally anything you can record a sound of is welcome in progressive rock.

Except autotune.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm going to play some prog right now.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LG made mental note of the possibility of animals in an ******** moment! He will listen all day to see if he hears them :tongue:

Just teasing you LG, you know I like Prog a whole heap. Animal sounds.....Aerosmith used animal sounds :heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online