The "Comeback" Thread

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I've been listening to this song "Stood Up" by Todd Rundgren.

I was a pretty big fan of TR from the time I heard "We Gotta Get you a Woman" on Top 40. I cooled considerably when he left Bearsville. I still like to hear what he does. It's usually quirky and something I don't really make an effort to hear again.

Well, all that has changed.
When I heard this track from his 2004 album 'Liars' I decided, not only is Todd back and better than ever, but something new has been added.

todd_liars1.jpg

At first, it was fun to be won over again. After an album of Electro-Noodling and Bossa Bloody Nova, I wasn't really expecting a Todd Classic. Maybe that's a little pre-mature. I'm yet to hear it on cd. I understand the songs "flow" from one to the next like side one of "A Wizard a True Star" and that might add a bit from hearing them on downloads.

This song "Stood Up", as near as I can tell, is a song about humility which is really something coming from the guy who called The Band "old fogies" (or was it Badfinger?) Also, hearing the song whoosh out of my speakers it made me a Todd fan all over again. Everything I like about him came rushing back into my head. The catchy bubble-gummy hooks, The splendid, ambitious production.

Anyway, it's always nice when you think somebody is down for the count and they surprise you with something WAY better than you had any reason to expect.
Don't you think?

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
How about Deep Purple after Blackmore left in '93. The hiring of Steve Morse was a great move. Exactly what you'd expect: A hybrid of Deep Purple and the Dixie Dregs. Dreg Purple if you will :D .

I'm going to see the Black Crowes this Monday after a four year hiatus we'll see how thier "comeback" is.

willg54

Reaction score
RE: Todd

Used to dig Nazz when I was in high school. Todd, in my opinion, was another artist ahead of his time. Plus, he plays some nice guitar.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
OK, Rundgren was someone I tried to get into but couldn't. I bought some budget European compilation CD and it didn't do anything for me. It may have been the song selection so I'm open to suggestons here. I'm vaguely familiar with the Nazz and I know he's produced some top flight bands. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Martha Washington

Reaction score
I think Todd either makes your nose light up or he doesn't.
most of those comps are good, I think you've got a good sense of what he does.
sure, he goes a little wacky here and there but melodically, if he had anything to offer you, I think you'd already know.

He did a couple straight up 'prog' things but otherwise I think you're bound to know if he's your cup of brown gravy or not.

mmmmmm.
gravy!

Martha Washington

Reaction score
another 'comeback' for me was Bowie's "Outside"

I didn't even bother to BUY "Let's Dance". I know it's a big fan favorite these days but I just never warmed to it.

In fact, "Scary Monsters" was my last gasp at buying Bowie albums for a good long time. There are highlights on 'Tonight' and such but not enough that I bothered to shell out. He seemed to be having a good time showing off his tan on Pepsi commericals. He didn't really seem to need my support anymore.

I won a dollar bet in a record store when "Never Let Me Down" was new.
"This is the new Bowie" I said as it played in-store. "NO WAY!" said my friend. "This SUCKS!!!"

a little harsh? maybe.
diary03.jpg

not long after, the same friend became a Bowie Fan again. He came over with the "Tin Machine" album. "wait'll you hear it!!"
he sort of got my hopes up.

I could see why he liked it. the band was pretty fierce. Bowie was in good throat. You could FEEL a sense of commitment that hadn't been in his music for a while. too bad I didn't really like any of the songs.

Later, he swore up and down that "Black Tie/White Noise" was a return to form. It just didn't really do much for me. I liked some songs but it felt forced to me.
My friend got really sick and didn't make it to "Outside"
I think it would have flipped his wig. It flipped mine.
Critics were a little luke warm. I think most of their objections were sound. It was a little long, a little weird, a little over-ambitious. Still, I never thought a new Bowie album would REALLY make me set up and bark ever again. I was wrong. I think it's best tracks rank with his best stuff. He's pushing boundries again and it suits him. He's writing songs that sound like they needed to be written again.

I think his albums since "Outside" have been, for the most part, WELL worth hearing. Many stand up quite well. (I like 'Heathen' and 'Earthling' more or less) Anyway, I wrote him off till 'Outside' came out. It's great to have him back. Ever see him on t.v. in the last 8 or 10 years? The old boy's got a fire in his belly. It doesn't sell much Pepsi, but It' s nice to see.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Not a physical comeback but a mental one - I was a huge fan of The Doors a couple years back but then I felt that I had exhausted the excellence of their catolouge and gave up. But just lately I've found out about awesome rarities and I've been indulging in the lesser traveled facets of their catolouge. I'm about to buy the box set (not the studio collection one the one with the rarities).

For physical comebacks... I think A Bigger Bang from The Stones is really outstanding. It's a classic. I do like Vodoo Lounge a whole lot though so you could argue that The Stones were always pretty good in my eyes....

Martha Washington

Reaction score
that Doors speciality label "permanent midnight", they are putting out some GREAT stuff. Wonder what took them so long? It's amazing that they had so much live material which had never seen the light of day before.

the bottom of MY Stones barrel was "Dirty Work" so, they've been doing pretty good by me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.