Review The Clash - London Calling (1979)

album review

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Re: London Calling - The Clash

Great album even though I don't like all of the Clash somgs thru the years :)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Nice album review, Syd. Good job!

:cheers:

The Clash is one of the few punk bands I really like. They're the cream of the cop.

''London Calling'' and the debut album* are my favorite Clash albums.

* the 1979 U.S. reissue version

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I would not call this the best punk album nor the best Clash album. A decent album with a few good songs. I would call this the most overrated punk album of all time.

Nice review though.

Reaction score

I would not call this the best punk album nor the best Clash album. A decent album with a few good songs. I would call this the most overrated punk album of all time.

Nice review though.

Which Clash album do you like better? Their Debut is close for me, but LC still wins out:grinthumb

Reaction score

The debut album by a mile.

They're very close to the same level for me.. The debut does definitely, have this certain charm to it.. pure energy on that one;)

Death on Credit

Reaction score

I might be tempted to throw on London Calling right now had I not just listened to it yesterday. It's an all-time album for me...probably in my top 3, actually. For all it's glory, I can never pinpoint anything that I particularly like about it, and sometimes it seems bizarre to me that a 21 year-old American boy living in the year 2011 can get so much out of songs that were mainly relevant to England in the late 70's...Hell, I couldn't tell you anything about what makes the title track so powerful and meaningful. But, then again, I just don't like to think of that kind of thing too much, I prefer to just let my mind run away with the album. It's not as fun as the Ramones, and it's not as visceral as the Sex Pistols, but it is most certainly the greatest punk rock album ever made. Nearly every day, I like to take a moment to honor Joe Strummer, and contemplate what a shame it is that he is no longer with us.

My favorite tracks are London Calling, Rudie Can't Fail, Card Cheat, and Train in Vain.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice review though.

That's because it's not a punk album in anything but name. The Clash had become a true straight up rock band on London Calling.

Their albums before this were all heavy punk rock, London Calling remains their absolute masterpiece.;)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

That's because it's not a punk album in anything but name. The Clash had become a true straight up rock band on London Calling.

Their albums before this were all heavy punk rock, London Calling remains their absolute masterpiece.;)

I consider them a punk band and this a punk album. I just think it is an extremely overrated album.

scalli

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks for bringing this one up, aint played it in years. Just about to dig it out now

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online