The Civil Wars (Official Thread)

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
The Civil Wars live at Graywhale on 6/28/11.

BBC interview March 2012

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Love these guys! I remember at first I thought they were a couple jeje.. Thanks or sharing those Phil :D

Reaction score
The Civil Wars aren't Country. They are more Americana/Folk. In other words the Country Establishment doesn't except them as Country.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
New song from self-titled album coming Aug 6

The One That Got Away (Audio) - The Civil Wars

I really like this! These two can do no wrong. I was worried that they were going to split because months ago they posted on FB how they didn't know if they were going to continue making music together. I'm glad they decided to keep on going. It's be a shame to loose such great band.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
The Civil Wars aren't Country. They are more Americana/Folk. In other words the Country Establishment doesn't except them as Country.

Sometimes the line between americana/folk and country is very thin. They certainly lean more towards americana/folk and I guess some purists would not accept them as country at all. Heck, there's even people out there claiming Billy Ray Cyrus isn't real country..... :pullhair: :D

Regardless of how you want to describe The Civil Wars, they are excellent!

Last edited:

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Such a shame.... :wa

THE CIVIL WARS OFFICIALLY SPLIT

Ending months of speculation about their uncertain future, Joy Williams and John Paul White, the Grammy-winning duo better known as the Civil Wars, have announced that their musical partnership has officially come to an end. On indefinite hiatus since late 2012, the pair released a statement Tuesday, in which Williams says, "I am saddened and disappointed by the ending of this duo, to say the very least. JP is a tremendous musician, and I will always be grateful for the music we were able to create together."

"I would like to express sincere thanks to all who were a part of the arc of the Civil Wars — from the beginning, to the end, and all points in between," adds White. "My deep appreciation goes out to all who supported, disseminated, and enjoyed the music. Whatever shape or form the next chapter takes, thanks for being a large part of this one."

The reason for the duo's breakup is one of the best-kept secrets in contemporary music history. It was exactly a year ago today that Williams told Rolling Stone the two were not on speaking terms, but wouldn't pinpoint the cause of the split. Still, she was hopeful for a reconciliation. "If John Paul and I can find a place to meet in the middle, I believe that there could be a future for the band," she said. "I would be open to having a dialogue; I would be open to trying to mend the bridges that I think we both burned…. It takes two."

To thank fans for their support, the now-defunct Civil Wars are offering a download of their 2010 recording of "You Are My Sunshine." Originally issued in 2011 as the B-side to the limited edition 7-inch vinyl of the band's "Barton Hollow" single, this marks the first time the song has been available digitally in the U.S. Barton Hollow won the 2012 Grammy for Best Country Vocal Duo/Group Performance.

White and Williams first met at a Nashville songwriting camp in 2008. In 2013, they released their second full-length album. That self-titled effort earned them their fourth Grammy award.

Source: Rolling Stone

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online