The Civil Wars (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Civil Wars
l_fed48c716ae945e1a0b8e8c906ee1349.jpg

The Civil Wars Official Website

The Civil Wars are the first Country artist I've been excited about in a long time. They are the duo of Joy Williams and John Paul White who had previously had solo careers. Joy Williams had some success on her own and this is considered an addition to her solo career but seeing the groups success her solo may definitely take a backseat. The album "Barton Hollow" has reached number one on I-tunes and Amazon and is gaining ground from there. I love what I've heard as they sound more like older traditional Country and they have great chemistry together. The harmonies are great and the music is made with the bare essentials and is much better for it. The purest sound I've heard in a while. Great stuff and I'm definitely picking this up:

Barton Hollow
Barton-Hollow1.png

Here are the two songs I'm LOVING from them thus far! :grinthumb

Barton Hollow
(amazing rootsy sounding old school country with great harmonies)

Poison and Wine
(beautiful ballad, this one gives me chills, it's perfect)

Falling

I'm still listening to them but I will buy this album!!!!! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: The Civil Wars

Wow, incredible sound! Definitely diggin this.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome man! Keep stopping by as I'll be updating this for a while!!! :grinthumb

I'm really liking this instrumental and what a nice unexpected touch from an artist of this genre!!!

The Violet Hour

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Falling is a real cool tune...I need to listen to the last three from this thread but pretty cool stuff.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I've listened to "Barton Hollow" and "Poison and Wine" and I have to say that I absolutely am loving this duo. I'm hearing strong folk roots but just as prevalent is some country flare (an even combination that is also used well by my dear Brandi Carlile). Now I don't usually dip too far into country however when I do this is the country that I choose to listen to. Something more than the stuck in a rut, same ol' song and dance of "boo hoo my honey left me and I can't go after her because my pickup is wrecked and my ol' bloodhound is sick" stuff that's been drilled into my head since birth. This is just so much mooooore.....legit, more real, than the tired genre that country music is today and has been for a while, and I truly believe it is the folk half of the music that does that.

I have the fullest intentions of picking up the "Barton Hollow" album as soon as I can. I am beyond interested in hearing what else it has in store. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I've listened to "Barton Hollow" and "Poison and Wine" and I have to say that I absolutely am loving this duo. I'm hearing strong folk roots but just as prevalent is some country flare (an even combination that is also used well by my dear Brandi Carlile). Now I don't usually dip too far into country however when I do this is the country that I choose to listen to. Something more than the stuck in a rut, same ol' song and dance of "boo hoo my honey left me and I can't go after her because my pickup is wrecked and my ol' bloodhound is sick" stuff that's been drilled into my head since birth. This is just so much mooooore.....legit, more real, than the tired genre that country music is today and has been for a while, and I truly believe it is the folk half of the music that does that.

I have the fullest intentions of picking up the "Barton Hollow" album as soon as I can. I am beyond interested in hearing what else it has in store. :grinthumb

Cosmic, who would've thought that a Country duo could be so cool, refreshing and exciting! I'm glad you share my enthusiasm! I just got the c.d. yesterday and I LOVE it! :grinthumb

Here's another great track which happens to be the opening track!

20 Years

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

They sound uniquely indie in their genre.....cool :):)....slightly folksy 2:)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Cosmic, who would've thought that a Country duo could be so cool, refreshing and exciting! I'm glad you share my enthusiasm! I just got the c.d. yesterday and I LOVE it! :grinthumb

Here's another great track which happens to be the opening track!

20 Years

I don't like this selection quite as much as the other songs I've heard in this thread but I still do like it so.....:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.