The Church

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Excellent impeccable music taste yet again Sunny! THE CHURCH are Australias finest and one of my favourite bands of all time!! Ive got most of their stuff on vinyl/cd even Steve Kilbey solo albums......still not seen them "live" yet though...Kilbey:bow: has a voice to die for...and i love the rickenbacker 12 string electic guitar sound...heres another classic bY THE CHURCH

Excellent tune.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
:grinthumb About time another classic by THE CHURCH was put up.......taken from the "seance" album :bow:
How come I never sound so good when I pick up my electric 12 string?? lol:rolleyes:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I went to see The Church last Sunday night at Sydney Opera House. It was their 30th anniversary and they were accompanied by 60 members of the George Ellis Orchestra.

The did a lot of songs including, Lost, Myrrh, Almost With You, Unguarded Moment, Reptile and Under The Milky Way.

Marty Wison-Piper played a 12 string acoustic guitar during "Grind" :grinthumb

'Twas a very good concert and that Steve Kilbey is stll hot :D

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I would have loved to have seen that concert, Sunny. Any time a band is accompanied by an orchestra they have my attention, plus The Church had all of the potential to be bigger than a one hit wonder up here in the States but it just never happened.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Cosmic is right. I never could figure out why The Church never hit bigger here in the US. The only album I have from them is Deep In The Shallows, a best of compilation. It's a 2-disc set and it's loaded with great songs.

A sample of what's on the album:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Top tracks R.Evans . THE CHURCH are pure class !! Well done Sunny..hope you enjoyed the gig, sounds a stormer, with an orchestra aswell very impressive ! Hmm got a feeling that the gig would have been recorded for a "live" album or dvd . A must have thats for sure.
THE CHURCH have always been highly rated here by the music press at least in the UK but like Cosmic says deserved better in the U.S .
I have most of their albums...but still plenty more to collect especially as Kilbey, Wilson Piper and even Koppes have done solo albums.
Id also love a new CHURCH T shirt....the 2, I own are WELL worn..haha..I will never chuck them away

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
A bit of a major shake up in the band, with legendary guitarist Marty Willson Piper being replaced by former Powderfinger member Ian Haug.
This news is of course very,very sad to diehard fans of THE CHURCH :uh:
He has been in the band for years and contributed successfully,his "jangly" 12 string guitar style has been a main feature...he will be sorely missed !!!:wa
So as a bit of a tribute heres the great man himself

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
^^^^ You Whisper :bow:

I wasn't too impressed with the news about Ian Haug replacing Marty :( He's kind of irreplacable.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
THE CHURCH return in 2014 with a brand new album "Further /deeper" What can I say ? Sounds brilliant....

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online