The Chameleons (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
The Chameleons Website

THE CHAMELEONS.........were an atmospheric post/punk band formed in Manchester UK in 1981 around vocalist/bassist Mark Burgess. Their sound reminicent of say early U2, with delightful chiming echo drenched guitars. Where as Bono and the boys went on to be rock superstars.....The Chameleons didnt get their rewards and to this day remain as a highly acclaimed "cult" band.
After several radio sessions tor BBCRadio 1s Dj John Peel they released some great albums . Then like so many bands broke up without hitting their potential.A decade later they reformed to play a series of live dates and an album in 2001.
In 2009 to present they are back ! Burgess and original drummer John Lever have reformed to play CHAMELEONS back catalogue under the name CHAMELEONS VOX. This is a band I hope to see in May.....i better get a ticket because I know that they will sell out

Paper Tigers

Perfume Garden

THE CHAMELEONS Discography

Script of the bridge .....1983
What does anything mean ? basically......85
Strange times................1986
Strip.............................2000
Why call it anything.......2001
This never ending now...2002

plus numerous live and sessions albums

Attachments

• chameleons.jpg
    chameleons.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Chameleons_U_K__-_Script_of_the_Bridge.jpg
    Chameleons_U_K__-_Script_of_the_Bridge.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 64
  • ChamsVox_Heerlen_5.jpg
    ChamsVox_Heerlen_5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Chameleons

I don't remember this band at all LOU...:think:

Don't have time right now, but I'll be back to check them out later.:grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Two more EPIC tracks by THE CHAMELEONS . As far as I know they havent released any material as CHAMELEONS VOX yet.....:grinthumb

Second Skin

Don't Fall

Aero

Reaction score

Great band! Saw them play in 2001 when they reformed for a bit and also saw Burgess play in San Francisco right before that which was an even better show.

Really cool guy too as I emailed him years ago to ask about some lyrics on one of his songs and he emailed me back and talked about the song a little. Would really love to meet him in person one day.

At any rate, I think Strange Times is my favorite album. Have you ever heard their last one that never got finished? Tony Fletcher Walks On Water...

bdfff5d8.jpg

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I never did get round to getting" Strange times" Aero....been on my shopping list for a few years. Great to see another CHAMELEONS fan on the forum ! :cheers2. Hmm this unfinished album sounds interesting
You saw them in the US ? They have a good underground following over there....which leads me up to saying Ive just CHAMELEONS VOX play their hometown Manchester UK last weekend. Any doubts about different line up etc were blown away.....they were absolutely brilliant. talk about a home coming !! Im hoping to see them again in Leeds next month :grinthumb

Up The Down Escalator

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Heres 2 more beauties by THE CHAMELEONS ....the footage from The Camden Palace is awesome....one Great band "Live"
In Shreds / Less than human

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Finally got a copy of AEROs favourite album......"Strange times" on cd. Great artwork and ofcourse great music.

Swamp thing....a good taster from the album :grinthumb

Last edited:

Aero

Reaction score
Lou, you should really like the ST album. The record is more mature than the first two albums and you can hear it in both Mark's lyrics and the music itself. To me, this is The Chams at their zenith. They should've gone on to stardom after putting out this record but alas, it never happened for them.

Let me know how you like the record. I think my favorite cut off this album is 'Soul In Isolation' but the rest are very good too.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I have played the "Strange times " album a few times and Iam getting to like it a lot. Good lyrics and fine guitarwork on many songs. Some tunes I was familiar with "Soul in Isolation" "Swamp thing" etc .....but a few pleasant surprises eg the track "Tears " a fine song with acoustic guitar and no drums. Later on there is another version. with drums......both superb !! I love the dreamy shoegaze style guitar to "Ill remember .Overall a well crafted album....I give it 8 out of ten , but I have a feeling these songs may grow on me.
Apart from this album I have THE CHAMELEONS 1st 2 albums on vinyl and.....

THE CHAMELEONS "John Peel sessions 81 /84" cd
THE CHAMELEONS " Auffuhrung in Berlin " Live cd

Tears

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online