The Cat Empire (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: The Cat Empire

It's a different sound to their previous albums, a bit more polished and technical I would say. But the soul is still there, which is the most important thing in the Cat Empire's music! I'll definitely be giving it quite a few spins leading up to their concert :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's because of your journal that I discovered this band in the first place. I haven't got the time to get into the details of so many of the bands everyone has intro'd in here but I liked them right away.

I'll play the new one tomorrow, and post my thoughts in here, although usually it takes a few listens before I can make any concrete decisions about a record.:think:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I'm the same, on the first listen only 3 tracks really got my attention, but after a while I hear the quirks and differences of each song a lot more clearly and like them even more! :D

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

picture39r.jpg

This came in the mail today :) Jumps (far left) has the best signature ever! :heheh:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Must admit I hadn't given this band a lot of time in the past. Heard a few tracks here and there.

They were on Hey Hey It's Saturday last Wednesday (go figure) and their live TV performance left a lot to be desired IMO. Don't know if it was a problem with the levels, or they were having an off day, or if they just aren't great live performers...

:dunno:

But just gave some vids you posted a listen, and I definitely prefer their studio work :tup:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Must have been an off day, usually their live show is quite the spectacle from what I've seen and will soon experience.

I gave the new album another listen, and I'm discovering it's a lot more mature than previous albums lyrically. In the past, Cat Empire lyrics have almost always been about the ladies, good times and memories, the wine and parties. But in this album they're a lot more introspective and romantic, take The Heart Is A Cannibal for example:

She hates you, then she loves you more
Underneath the shadows of her thoughts, shadows of her thoughts, she rings a bell for you
I wish that she was a statue made of gold and nobody could bring her down

(chorus)
Goodness knows I don't like sadness, she cries before she wakes
And so my friend, if you love her, don't turn away
Don't fight it
Don't run away
We're people, and we're animals
You're thunder, and the heart is a cannibal

I ask you do you love me more than all the men that have ever come before, come before
And when I'm a storm, kiss me, hurt me, heal me with your words, so nobody can ever bring me down

(chorus)

When love is gone, your thoughts are calm
Your words are holy, your days are long
Your blood gets older, and your face is old
And the days flow by like water
You miss the stormy weather
And she was gold

(chorus)

Fisha

Reaction score

Must admit I hadn't given this band a lot of time in the past. Heard a few tracks here and there.

They were on Hey Hey It's Saturday last Wednesday (go figure) and their live TV performance left a lot to be desired IMO. Don't know if it was a problem with the levels, or they were having an off day, or if they just aren't great live performers...

:dunno:

But just gave some vids you posted a listen, and I definitely prefer their studio work :tup:

For the record the Cat Empire is considered one of the best live acts around so I think it was probably just an off day

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

And what a freakin' live act they are! Last night was one of the best concerts I've ever been too, not only did I manage to chat with Felix and get a picture with the band, but I somehow got to the front row dead centre. I couldn't tell you the exact setlist, but there was only about half of the new album on there, and the rest was mostly from the first two albums. The only song from So Many Nights was the last before the encore, and it was an extended version of Fishies which went for well over 5 minutes. With many of their songs they did similar treatment, such as adding a drum solo onto Beyond All, and whole jam sessions for songs like The Rhythm, How To Explain and The Lost Song each going well over 10 minutes. The highlight though was the encore, after a sizzling Feeling's Gone, they played The Wine Song which was damn well epic. Again it was extended and must have been over 10 minutes but ever second of it was amazing. The finale was The Chariot, with every band member jumping and dancing more than any other time in the show. There was energy exploding off the stage for the entire show, and it was a truly magical experience of brilliant Australian music.

And finally, for your curious eyes, here is the picture I had taken of me with the band:

photo0113q.jpg

(Harry wasn't around at the time, but he was in the group shot with everyone else who attended soundcheck)

Harkat

Reaction score

wow sounds good to hear Mr Cat Man!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online