The Black Keys (Official Thread)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
The Black Keys are two white boys from Ohio who have now issued several albums of hard driving bluesy rock. These fellows make the White Stripes sound like suburban poseurs:

the-black-keys1.jpg

Official Website

The Big Come Up (2002)
Thickfreakness (2003)
Rubber Factory (2004)
Magic Potion (2006)
Attack & Release (2008)
Brothers (2010)
El Camino (2011)

"Thick Freakness" and "Rubber Factory" are Black Keys' CDs out on the Fat Possum label.

411G1YXWX0L._SS400_.jpg 3f06024128a00f6dc4fd7010.L.jpg

:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Black Keys!

You know I am not a fan of the White Stripes or the Black Keys, the minimalist sound they both create just lacks something for me anyway.

But thanks for the thread Fox.:D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have heard this band before, they get great reviews from the critics.

I do have thier last album released in 2008, but have only listened to it once:

pe-black_keys-attack_and_release.jpg

It is a different style blues, a more grungy, quirky style that has to grow on you.

Strange Times

Oceans and Streams

Reaction score

I've heard so many people tell me how great this band is, and they're so amazing and all that, but I can't get into them
I've tried on numerous occasions and it has absolutely no appeal to me, I'd even go as far as saying I hate the band

Flower

retired
Reaction score

^^^ I feel the same way about the Fleet Foxes except I don't hate them ... I just don't listen to their CD and didn't make an effort to see them when they were in town.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's funny you mention the Fleet Foxes Flower, I kind of like them and so does OB, they have a laid back folk feel to them, and I enjoyed their newest release. I don't listen to them all the time, but after some Priest or Gamma Ray or Sabbath it's nice to relax and play something soft.

Flower

retired
Reaction score

:DUnfortunately, the Fleet Foxes were not what I expected .. after listening to them 8 or 9 times, I still don't see/hear what the fuss is about .. I don't hate them but they are a bit too "new age" in their sound for my tastes.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Here's what Barnes & Noble has to say about the Black Keys:

the Black Keys is a two-man duo comprising singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney, both of whom were in their early twenties when the band's debut, The Big Come Up, was issued in 2002. Hailing from Akron, OH, they harnessed a close-to-the-bone, raw blues-rock sound on the album, whole sole instruments were Auerbach's guitar, Carney's drums, and the occasional organ. From the start, Auerbach flaunted a fine, mature, lived-in blues voice for one so young, and the group's material worked in funk, soul, and rock influences from the likes of Jimi Hendrix and James Brown, which helped avoid undue repetition of the overdone chord progressions and stock riffs common to so many such acts. Before the year's end, the band had amassed a loyal following and inked a deal with Fat Possum.

The Black Keys' second album, Thickfreakness, was recorded in 14 straight hours during a single day in 2002. To prepare for its April 2003 release, the duo joined Sleater-Kinney as their opening act for a North American winter tour. Rubber Factory followed in 2004 and earned notices as one of the best records of the year. A live DVD arrived in 2005, followed by the Chulahoma EP and the full-length Magic Potion in 2006. Two years later, the Keys issued the Danger Mouse-produced Attack & Release, an album that was originally planned as a collaboration between the duo and Ike Turner (although Turner's death in December 2007 rendered the collaboration impossible). Attack & Release debuted at number 14 on the Billboard 200, propelled in part by the band's string of incendiary live performances (as well as several festival appearances that summer). Another concert DVD was issued before the year's end, and frontman Dan Auerbach rang in the New Year with the release of his first solo effort, Keep It Hid. Richie Unterberger

:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online