The Best Vocalist Scream?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Agreed, and he didn't deteriorate with age like a lot of singers do. He still sounds good.

Well the top of his range is gone so he can't really sing songs like "Lazy", "Space Truckin'", and most importantly "Child In Time" so well anymore. If I'm not mistaken Deep Purple actually took "Child In Time" off the set list almost a decade ago because Ian couldn't hit the high notes anymore and they are such an important part of that song.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Well the top of his range is gone so he can't really sing songs like "Lazy", "Space Truckin'", and most importantly "Child In Time" so well anymore. If I'm not mistaken Deep Purple actually took "Child In Time" off the set list almost a decade ago because Ian couldn't hit the high notes anymore and they are such an important part of that song.

Point taken and it is a good point.

However, for me I've seen nothing on recent Purple studio albums suggesting that Ian has really fallen off a cliff. That is the basis for my comment.

I've never seen Purple live (the one show I had tickets for was cancelled) and probably never will, so I don't really consider that aspect of it.

Reason being, there are artists in their prime or still close to it who can't nail some of their own material live.

At this stage of Purple's career, nobody expects Ian to hit all of the high notes night after night on tour. However, in the confines of a recording studio where the atmosphere is more relaxed and allows for a do-over (or several), Ian can still lay down some pretty good screams on record. He just might not be able to do them every night on the road, but that's not necessary since the band is only going to include 2-3 new songs from the LP in a set list anyway (whatever their current label feels is most radio ready) and leave it at that.

Yes, it can also be argued that studio magic has something to do with it or that Ian generally sings less challenging material to "hide" his voice, but I don't really see it that way.

Besides, there are plenty of veteran singers who no matter what a studio does, sound terrible on studio albums these days. I don't think Ian falls into that category.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bruce Dickinson is another one who could reach the highs and belt out some awesome screams.

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
I can't disagree with any of you. And why would I? The beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder. In the spirit it of harmony I'd simply like to add to this awesome list one of the most famous (dare I say iconic?) rock and roll screams of all time. In spite of David Caruso's attempts to campify it or cover it in cheesy goo, I respectfully submit Roger Daltry's scream from Won't Get Fooled Again.

7 minutes and 45 seconds into the posted song/video is the crucial moment for those who are unfamiliar (and, btw, just who are you people?) with this singular piece of sonic gold. The rest of you already know what the hell I'm talkin' about so you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
I can't disagree with any of you. And why would I? The beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder. In the spirit it of harmony I'd simply like to add to this awesome list one of the most famous (dare I say iconic?) rock and roll screams of all time. In spite of David Caruso's attempts to campify it or cover it in cheesy goo, I respectfully submit Roger Daltry's scream from Won't Get Fooled Again.

7 minutes and 45 seconds into the posted song/video is the crucial moment for those who are unfamiliar (and, btw, just who are you people?) with this singular piece of sonic gold. The rest of you already know what the hell I'm talkin' about so you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Thats probably the single best classic rock scream ever!

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Anyway, here are a few more single screams I would add to the list (includes some guys who don't usually scream)

Revolution- The Beatles (John Lennon)

When The Music's Over- The Doors (Jim Morrison)

Gimme Shelter- The Rolling Stones

and of course

Wont Get Fooled Again

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online