The best producers in rock history

Fabio

Reaction score
I was thinkin that without great producers there wouldn't have been most of the music we love.
If you agree, please come here and help me present them with a brief bio intoduction and the reason why you think the one you choose is a great producer.
Ok guys? Feel free to post whatever you want.

Fabio

Reaction score
Jimmy Miller

One of the greatest ones, imho, was US producer Jimmy Miller
He worked on records by the Spencer Davis Group and other Winwood projects Traffic and Blind Faith: the Legend of classic rock :bow:
The top was his production on the "golden" Rolling Stones albums ‘Let It Bleed’, ‘Sticky Fingers’, ‘Exile On Main Street’ and more.
Later on Primal Scream will call Miller back in to help out on 1991’s ‘Screamadelica’, their masterpiece.
He invented and played many of the beauties and jems that we can find inside the Stones most important songs (ex. the drum rhythm in You can't always get what you want).

Attachments

• 2006JimmyMillerPA200312.jpg
    2006JimmyMillerPA200312.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 55

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with the cliché and say Brian Epstein.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The Produce Section

Phil Spector...then he went bonkers. Jack Douglas for his work on the early Aerosmith albums. Brian Wilson... Soul and R&B...there's Quincy Jones and Nile Rodgers.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Roy Halee - produced classic Simon and Garfunkel albums like "Bookends" and "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

Chip Douglas - arranged The Turtles classic "Happy Together" and produced The Monkees albums "Headquarters" and "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd".

Lou Adler - produced lots of hits for Sam Cooke, Johnny Rivers, The Mamas and The Papas, The Grassroots, Spirit, Barry Maguire and others. He won two Grammys for his production work on Carole King's classic "Tapestry" album.

Paul Rothchild - produced hits for Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, The Lovin' Spoonful, Neil Young, Tim Buckley, Love and others. He's best known for producing The Doors' first five albums.

Darth Pazuzu

Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with the cliché and say Brian Epstein.

Epstein was the Beatles' manager...not their producer. That would, of course, be the great George Martin! But then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's who you meant! :D

I see no one's mentioned Tony Visconti yet! (T. Rex, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, etc.)

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
From the stuff I've been reading over the years the title 'Producer' has been a very loosely based term. ie it could range from someone who facilitates various substances to another who is a techno wizard. George Martin obviously stands out as the fifth Beatle, but I would also mention Trevor Horn, who pretty much ruled the charts in the UK through the '80s. He had a magical touch with bands like Frankie Goes To Hollywood and ABC among others. It seemed for a while you were guaranteed a Number One if he was your producer. And yet there was another side to him - he produced Yes in the early '80s and was even a band member for a while.

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
Epstein was the Beatles' manager...not their producer. That would, of course, be the great George Martin! But then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's who you meant! :D

I see no one's mentioned Tony Visconti yet! (T. Rex, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, etc.)

Ah, yes, of course! Clearly my mind wasn't quite in the right place when I posted that, I absolutly meant George Martin. Thanks for noticing that, I'm not sure how I managed to slip up like that!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online