The Beatles

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Re: The Beatles-- Band Of The Month-- June 2010

This is the interview where they got the title of "Tommorow Never Knows" from Ringo's malapropism. Another time they did this was in "A Hard Day's Night." Ringo explained in a 1964 interview: "We went to do a job, and we'd worked all day and we happened to work all night. I came up still thinking it was day I suppose, and I said, 'It's been a hard day...' and I looked around and saw it was dark so I said, 'Night!'

Last edited by a moderator:

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score

Abbey Road
Released: September 26th 1969

beatles_-_abbey_road.jpg

The Beatles second last studio album. Wow, the time really has flown!

The Beatles recorded much of the Let It Be album, though it wasn't released until May of the following year. So, Abbey Road is the last recorded Beatles album, if only the second last released.

The nature of the Let It Be sessions was quasi-live. Now for Abbey Road, the Beatles returned to the studios in North London to record a musically intricate album, with 12 tracks.

As for the album cover, it is the first time in Beatles history to not contain an album name or a Beatles name. The photo is the group's most iconic shot, which showed the crossing near the entrance to the studios in London NW8 taken in August 1969.

Abbey Road was an extremely successful album. In The UK, it stayed in the number one spot for 17 weeks out of an 81 week chart run. In The Us, it stayed number one for 11 weeks out of an 83 week run.

The album ends with the famous last words (well not really, considering Her Majesty ruined it, plus Let It Be did too. But, since they were both recorded before The End, it was their last recorded message to the world.) "And in the end- the love you take, is equal to the love you make."

Also as a note, George Harrison outshines the others on this album, with the famous songs "Here Comes The Sun" and "Something", two songs that are oft considered some of the best Beatles songs.

The entire second side of the album can be played as a medley, the famous Abbey Road medley, starting with You Never Give Me Your Money and ending with Her Majesty.

Track List:

1. Come Together
2. Something
3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
4. Oh! Darling
5. Octopus's Garden
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Because
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
10. Sun King
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. The End
17. Her Majesty

Coming Soon!
Album Analysis: Let It Be (THE FINAL ALBUM :( )

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score

Let It Be
May 8 1970

let-it-be-album-cover.jpg

The Let It Be album was released just before the film Let It Be. Recording for the album had taken place in January of 1969 first At Twickenham Film Studios and then in the basement of the Apple Headquarters, and eventually on the roof!

A single comprising of Get Back and Don’t Let Me Down was intended to be released in April, 1969 but as The Beatles focussed their energy on a new album recorded at Abbey Road, The Get Back album as it was originally called remained unreleased.

Once Abbey Road had been issued and the completion of the documentary film was coming up, it was noticed that rehearsals of George Harrison’s song I Me Mine was used in the film but had not been recorded in the studio. They recorded it on January 3rd, 1970 when George, Paul and Ringo performed it without John who was away in Denmark. A second single from the album, which was now titled Let It Be appeared on March 6th.

Up to now the idea behind the album had been to capture the group “live in the studio” without overdubs or effects but this changed when producer Phil Spector was brought in to re-produce the tracks. The Long And Winding Road, which had been given a new musical arrangement featuring orchestra and choir, was released as a single in the US and other markets but not the UK and became the group’s final # 1 single. However, Paul was very upset with this treatment, and used it as one of 6 reasons in his dissolution case, saying that his leaving the Beatles should be legal. The version as Paul meant it, as with all the other songs, can be seen on Let It Be Naked. Paul had this to say:

"We’d made Let It Be we then mixed it once with Glyn Johns who’d done a very straight forward mix, very plain but I loved it, Alan Klein was around by this time and he sort of said I don’t think it’s good enough, he called in Phil Spector to try to sort of help reproduce it as it said on the record."

In The UK, the album was on the charts for 59 weeks, and number one for 3. In the US, the album was on the charts for 55 weeks, and number one for 4 weeks.

Tracks:

1. Two Of Us
2. Dig A Pony
3. Across The Universe
4. I Me Mine
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be
7. Maggie Mae
8. I've Got A Feeling
9. One After 909
10. The Long And Winding Road
11. For You Blue
12. Get Back

I'd like to thank everyone for being here with me all month, as we've tackled the huge discography of one of the best bands in rock history. While next month may be focused on KISS or Aerosmith or whoever, know that I will still be posting on here, and be sure to check it out if you want!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I appreciate the effort you have put into your thread TB...I'll read it from start to finish again when I have the time.

:ty:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score

The Beatles...wow, what a great band.

I'm not a big memorabilia collector, but I got lucky on ebay last week, and now have one of these:

The-Beatles-Metal-Tray-372624.jpg

Mine's a little scratched up, but not too badly considering its from 1963. Still can't believe that I finally own one of these....and I only paid $11 for it! Seems too good to be true.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

The Beatles, great job. Loved reading this thread.

Thanks for doing it.

John, Paul, George and Ringo would be proud.

THE BEATLES ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND EVER.

Here's a video that's only appropriate to end this thread (hopefully this thread still goes on!) There's some great clips of the boys through out the years. This is awesome....

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

Last edited:

ChibiGeeBee

One Spoony Bard
Reaction score

Good thread, this. Really, what CAN'T you say about The Beatles?

They are the mold that all rock bands seem to follow, for good and ill.

Break ups? Check. Movies? Check? Decadence and WTF girlfriends? Check.

Immortality? Definite check.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online