The Beatles - Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Ah, sargent pepper.

Pepper%27s.jpg

This album shows up on so many “best albums of all time” lists that it’s almost a cliche. Though I do prefer some songs off of Revolver over a lot of the songs off Sgt Pepper any day, there are still some masterful songs on this album.

This album is also revolutionary in the sense that it is the first "theme" album. It seems stupid that repeating a song and calling it a theme is revolutionary, but it is. It is the first time an album was meant to be listened to as a whole, and not just a scattered collection of hit and miss singles.

Now, lets get onto the song-by-song review.

1. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
***** (5 stars)
This song still holds up well for me, as it advertises the wonder to come later in the album. From the grungy guitars to the ring-master acting of Paul, this is the start of a wonderful ride.

2. With A Little Help From My Friends
**** (4 stars)
Ringo fills the role of Billy Shears in this next song, which transitions perfectly from the album opener. The "call and response" vocals are nice too. Ive never felt this deserved five stars, though it still is a decent song.

3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
*** (3 Stars)
This is one of the Beatles' most overrated songs, in my opinion. Lennon's (drug induced) imagery is cool on a first listen, but gets kind of dull and annoying after listening to it for a while. The strange keyboard riff has always irked me too.

4. Getting Better
*** (3 stars)
This is a situation song for me. Sometimes I'll like it, and sometimes I'll hate it. The guitar riff tends to irk me rather than please me most of the time, and the singing sometimes gets on my bad side.

5. Fixing A Hole
**** (4 stars)
This song drags when I listen to it now. It’s the average Paul noodling around that similarly plagues other songs. Its saving graces are the harpsichord and some seesaw guitar acrobatics, which add a nice touch.

6. She's Leaving Home
***** (5 stars)
One of the most underrated and one of the most powerful songs the Beatles have ever written. Thats all I can say.

7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
***** (5 stars)
This is Beatles nirvana. The surreal Lennon imagery finds an appropriate outlet in the vision of a scary circus, where nothing is as it seems. The move to a waltz rhythm that John had been toying with comes to its fullest fruition. The crazy tape loops are expertly used here.

8. Within Without You
***** (5 stars)
George's masterpiece on Sgt pepper

9. When Im 64
**** (4 stars)
Paul continues on his kick of trying to write the next big show tune. I like this song well enough, it’s cute, and its placement is good. It doesnt deserve 5 stars, however, IMO.

10. Lovely Rita
***** (5 stars)
I love this song! I love the guitar, I especially love the vocals!

11. Good Morning Good Morning
***** (5 stars)
I always loved this tune, with John moaning about how sunny mornings can drive you nuts if you’re in a bad mood. It’s kind of like a snide response to Paul’s Good Day Sunshine from Revolver.

12. Sgt Pepper (reprise)
***** (5 stars)
What could be better than the original Sgt pepper song? This up-tempo repeat of the album opener, is what. It has a more drive and force, and just when it might be getting old, cascades into a day in the life.

13. A Day In The Life
***** (5 stars)
Perfect.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Re: Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

I guess noones gonna review my sgt pepper

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members