The BEATLES (Official Thread)

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I even really like their movies. Help! is funny, funny stuff! Sure it's childish and a bit immature at times but it's really funny. The film Magical Mystery Tour was Paul's idea. He wanted to drive around England in a bus and film whatever happened. Nothing much did but there are some funny bits and a lot of experimentation with visuals and film. I own VHS copies of both edited and unedited versions of Yellow Submarine and the re-released songtrack from the 90's is just so good.
Warning if you choose to read further. I am going to go into talking about illegal and unauthorized releases here in a minute.
In the early 2000 there were a few sellers on eBay with compact discs collections "licensed in the Russian Federation" Anyway, these collections would have two officially released albums on one compact disc. Each disc would have two albums and sometimes a few "bonus tracks". Hopefully I'll get an understanding of large file attachments things and be able to share some of my images. The collection is just like the images below. And they look and sound fantastic! I know bootlegs are bad, mkay. But I am really thrilled to have these in my collection. One of the discs has the Glyn Johns mix of Get Back. 13 tracks. This stuff is now available as part of the super Let It Be editions but 20 years ago, these discs were an incredible find. They are still pretty cool to look at and listen to.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 4
  • beatles.jpg
    beatles.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 4

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
^^Fascinating post @BeatleMatt. Never seen or even heard of these Russian album sets.
I was incredibly fortunate to pick up many of the licensed digipack format cds for a song, and then completed the collection by hunting them down one at a time, a difficult achievement in SA, believe me. All my albums are the original British releases, not the US versions.
A brilliant find for me was finding the whole Beatles Anthology series DVD set which was very informative and entertaining.
Then I also have all the movies, but I can't say that I'm that impressed by any of them. Maybe you need drugs to understand them, haha.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
As a teenager in America in the late 70’s and early 80’s, the Capital releases were what I filled my collection with. The echo chamber mixes of their songs and 19 studio releases instead of 13. These are what I prefer.
There were new pressings for their 20th anniversary in 1984 so some of my albums are the purple label Capital but I have a lot of older pressings Capital and Apple labels as well. And many, many box sets.
I have the documentary The Compleat Beatles on VHS but I do not have The Beatles Anthology documentary.
The Beatles have always been my favorite music.
The Sgt. Pepper’s and Let It Be super deluxe editions are really great collections but I don’t think I’ll get the new Revolver remaster.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
On this date in 1962, the first single, "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You", from the upcoming first album by The Beatles, Please Please Me was released in The United Kingdom.
Due to poor judgement and record label contracts, it would be several months before any Beatles recordings would be officially released in The United States.
Work on recording the Beatles album Please Please Me began in September of 1962 at London's Abbey Road Studios and was completed in February of 1963. The following month, the album was released in the U.K. and four singles from the album were spawned from 1962 through 1964.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Again, from the perspective of a fifty-something year old American, growing up listening to Capitol’s versions of Beatles albums, it was a nice surprise when they included “Sgt. Pepper’s Inner Groove” on the Rarities album. I won my first copy of the Sgt. Pepper’s album from a radio so I had never heard the song up until Rarities. Then they went and extended it and included it on the compact disc releases and I find the 25 seconds plus, extended version annoying.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online