The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score
Abbey Road
The Beatles

abbey_road.jpg

As their swan song to the world, the Beatles' Abbey Road sealed the legacy — forever set in stone and brilliant to the very last drop. But it wasn't easy to squeeze one last album out of Mssrs. Lennon, McCartney, Harrison and Starr. They were barely speaking to one another and becoming disenchanted with the whole collective attitude that had shaped their very existence. Instead, the Beatles were drifting apart — musically, philosophically and personally. Throw in the business woes stirred up by Apple and Allen Klein, and it's no wonder the tension during The Beatles (aka The White Album) and Let It Be was coming to a head. Even longtime producer George Martin had had enough. But the ever-chipper McCartney refused to let sleeping dogs lie, and persuaded Martin to come along and make one more record "like we used to." While it wasn't exactly a communal affair on par with the days of old, Abbey Road exemplifies a pinnacle in a career that consistently busted the barometer for seven glorious years.

To get Abbey Road made, a number of disagreements and differences of opinion had to be sorted out and dealt with. To begin, Lennon was more interested in recording individual, straight ahead rock songs with minimal production value. McCartney, on the other hand, had grander illusions. Having successfully taken the band through the whimsy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, McCartney wanted to piece together a medley of songs with a heavy, conceptual bend. Fortunately, a compromise was agreed upon, and the album consisted of both individual songs and a medley. Lennon's chart-topping, Timothy Leary/Chuck Berry inspired "Come Together," as well as "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," the Beatles' longest song aside from "Revolution 9" (if you want to call that a song), certainly drove the point home. But the balance achieved with McCartney's string of songs that includes "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" mixed in with Lennon's "Sun King" and "Polythene Pam" is only half the story.

In the end, the victor of Abbey Road is undoubtedly George Harrison, whose emerging compositional skills resulted in no less than two of the album's strongest cuts: "Something" and "Here Comes The Sun." The former, of course, would go on to become one of most revered tunes in the Beatles' songbook. And just to make sure everyone got his due, Ringo Starr contributed a song of his own, sprightly entitled "Octopus's Garden," as well as playing a simple, yet sufficient drum solo during the album's closer, "The End."

Without much analysis, it's easy to see that Abbey Road is a joyful celebration about everything the Beatles did right — magical harmonies, first-class songwriting, and tight interaction instrumentally, vocally, and everywhere else in between. Forgoing Everest or Billy's Left Boot, the album more or less earned its title when no one in the group or their immediate circle felt motivated enough to come up with anything else. In short, it was a tribute to the studio where they had grown into the world's biggest band. All it took was a half hour photo shoot on a crosswalk a few yards from the studio, and the front cover was a done deal. It would go on to become one of the most parodied photographs in pop culture, while bustling with supposed clues to McCartney's eminent demise. In reality, it was the last word from a phenomenon that still echoes with each generation.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Beatles ~ Abbey Road

Very well done Vintage.:thanks:

It is and will always be my favorite Beatles recording, for numerous reasons. There is a great photograph of the band in the studio, another friend years ago did a thorough examination of the picture explaining all the subtle nuances of John & Yoko, Paul, George and Ringo that taken cumulatively left no doubt that they had come to the end of the line as a group.

I am so glad they did this record, the world of music would be much poorer if it had never been done.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:clap: Nice review. Vintage, you definitely did this album justice in the review.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Vintage:

Great review! I may very well give the LP a spin tonight.

In the end, the victor of Abbey Road is undoubtedly George Harrison, whose emerging compositional skills resulted in no less than two of the album's strongest cuts: "Something" and "Here Comes The Sun."

Agreed.

:grinthumb

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Yes, Abbey Road is definitely George's strongest album. It is a fantastic album and a miracle that it was made at all with the tensions going on and all.

Great Review

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

There is no question it is a classic, and I never tire of listening to it. It was also, IMO, the best-recorded LP of theirs, at least as I had known their sound at that time. The first time I played it on my first good stereo I was astonished at the sound.

I love all the songs, and think they represent some of the best writing any of them ever did, though I have one small bit of prejudice against George's "Something." Part of that may be that it's been overplayed and over-recorded something fierce. But I'm also a little pre-disposed against it because of his taking the name and first line of the lyric from an early James Taylor song, which he had heard when Apple first signed Taylor to a record contract. And I personally think Taylor's song is the better of the two. But that's just me.

The other interesting thing for me is in regard to Ringo's famous drum solo. According to engineer Geoff Emerick, Ringo hated - just hated - drum solos and fought tooth and nail not to do it. In his book Emerick hints that it was a bit of a nerves/confidence thing, though he also says Ringo reportedly disliked drum solos in music in general.

All just fascinating stuff, including the then-little-known fact that, as Vintage rightly points out, it was the last album they recorded. The delayed release of Let It Be fooled a lot of people.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

There is no question it is a classic, and I never tire of listening to it. It was also, IMO, the best-recorded LP of theirs, at least as I had known them at that time. The first time I played it on my first good stereo I was astonished at the sound.

I agree it still holds up by today's standards Craig.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

The bass on "Oh! Darling" is incredible. Easily as tuneful and important to the song as any guitar part, IMO.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Great review, this is one of my favorite albums all-time. I really love Sun King and Here Comes The Sun!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online