The Babys (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

The Baby's on Wikipedia

This Thread should rock...let's hear it for John Waite and his first big band here!!

Just awesome material and good times for the 1970's...alot of fun being a kid with bands this good!!

Albums:
1977 The Babys
1977 Broken Heart
1979 Head First
1980 Union Jacks
1980 On the Edge
1981 Anthology
2006 The Official Unofficial BABYS Album
2007 Live in America

babys.jpg

The-Babys-Broken-Heart-329583.jpg

Last edited:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: The Babys

Good band...Another one of those bands I thought was going to be huge. I almost got to see them live too. In 1979 they were supposed to open for Triumph but the show was postponed & on the reschedule the Paul Pope Band from Cleveland opened up.
...Anyway, I'll always remember when Mike Corby was spotted in a club in NYC & was mistaken for Paul Stanley. Pictures were snapped & put in the Gossip Tabloids saying "Kiss Unmasked"

***Also...because I 'm a big Johnny Thunders fan...He played guitars on Waite's song "No Brakes" on his "Mask of Smiles" album (Waite did have an album titled 'No Brakes' but the song is on 'Mask of Smiles')

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have a compilation CD of theirs, but recently I picked up a copy of the first Baby's album I bought and it remains my favorite.

I also have a John Waite greatest hits album, but it is basically a Baby's anthology, bought it mostly for "Missing You", I still play it once in a while.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm not sure Lady, I only bought the one album and lost interest in them after that. No doubt the ladies liked them for more than musical ability, but they had some good songs too.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

They weren't terrible, but some of the songwriting on their biggest hits kind of scared me away by how awful it was. Tolerable, but really, I'm only in it for the dribbling and staring. ;D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I only pay attention to the music myself, and they were just light hearted rock to me and a little fluff is okay in my books.:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I think everyone should at least hear the Debut and Broken Heart all the way through at least once. :grinthumb

Also, I always thought they sounded like a lighter UFO...still do...I hear it in John's vocals and the music. :grinthumb :grinthumb

He're's another cool hit everyone knows.
Please Don’t Leave Me Here

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Great band...got 4 of their albums....plus a couple of John Waite solos.
THE BABYS were a bit of an oddity, a British band who were ...popular in the States and virtually unknown in the UK ! I guess it was because of the emergence of punk rock around 1977. THE BABYS were masters of soft rock...with the excellent vocals of John Waite...ironically the song "missing you" was a massive hit in the UK aswell !!
Cheers bucky for putting up tracks off the "on the edge" Lp...thats an album I havent got yet..they sound good
I agree with you MP they do sound like a bit like UFO at times...this track reminds me

THE BABYS Discography

The Babys 1977
Broken heart 77
Head first 79
Union jacks 80
On the edge 80
Anthology 81
The official unofficial Babys album [demos] 2006
Live in America 2007

...........lets not forget BROKEN ENGLISH

Find member

Forum statistics