The Auto-Tune Bash Thread

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I hope this is permitted and is just for fun but I wanna bash the shit out of artist who auto-tune!! Really want to fire on their ass.
Sorry for the cursing but that's how I feel about anybody using it to gain popularity.

I know the reason most do use it.. BECAUSE THEY SING LIKE A CAT IN HEAT!!!

Recently while I was flipping through the channels I came on the reality show Kardashians and seen Chris Jenner is now in business with the big time producer Babyface.. She mentioned she wanted to do a song and what does he say?? " We can use alot of auto tune to make it sound good"
Now I know we are all in for the Jenner daughters( The two youngest on the show) cutting a song and they played a little bit of it and of course AUTO TUNED to death..

So this thread is all about the cheap shot that record companies take to allow songs that are auto tuned..

really now.. If it's tuned you know the live performance has to be lip synced..
WTH people.. there is true talent out there and to me, this is something that has gone way overboard.. It's like a bad dream lived out for a 100 years..
Rant... Rant.. and more rant....:bonk:

Berserker

Reaction score
KRS-1 and Buckshot have a track about it:

The chorus is "I can't sing, pass me the program, I can't rap, pass me the program".

[GROOVESHARK]29738033[/GROOVESHARK]

I hate it when it's over used but I love it in the parody sense. Like in Freaknik the musical, it stars T-Pain as Freaknik and he uses autotune on his speaking voice.

In the song, buckshot and krs explain that it has been around for a long time and is only now being exploited.

Planet Rock by Africa Bambata (sp) came out in the 80's and was heavy autotune, so Kanye and everyone who does it now are being unoriginal in addition to lame and derivative.

I wanted to make a smartphone app that autotunes your voice, for prank calls and voicemail, etc, but someone beat me to it.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ I can see with a title like "Robot" that they would want to sound mechanical.. But alot of rappers use it because.. (IMO) they cannot and I mean cannot sing a note.. When rap started out you would at least hear them mix it up with some singing or add somebody doing the chorus with singing but nowdays.. yyyyyyuck with all this pump the audience up crap talking..

Berserker

Reaction score
listen to the lyrics of the song,

it's' a critique on rap, the loss of craftsmanship and the rise of what we have now, it's basically an indictment of the industry.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I will Beserk.. But as far as Planet Rock went.. That wasn't auto tuned.. I'll have to look up what they used back then but it was more electronic sounding which is what alot of Break Dance bands were using during the 80's..

Big difference in the sound..

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ That is the best example of what I'm talking about.. And of course they allowed the Pre-Studio vocals to be heard so how embarrasing for that girl.
But it goes to show you the level and technical trust you can have if you sing like shit and depend on auto-tune to fix your vocals..

What a mess and in my book shameful and I don't care if it makes the artist famous and rich or what ever..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Definitely not a fan of this phenomenon, it is one thing to use studio equipment to get the best result possible but in the "Elder Days" of rock and roll almost every artist without exception was Expected to recreate the studio sound in a live concert setting, within reason. That's not to say some didn't use Taped effects for some songs but you had to be able to perform or no record company would ever have signed you.

Lipsynching, autotune and a few other newer technologies have diluted the quality of music in my view. Some say they don't care as long as the show is good but I feel you have no place performing live if you are not the real thing and use trickery to achieve the sound that made you successful.

Berserker

Reaction score
It is trickery.

It's all about image now, not sound. What can we sell to as many idiots as possible?

You ever hear any Bill Hicks? He had a bit about how, at the time (Bill died in 1994) Debbie Gibson was the #1 album in America. His point was what the hell happened to us, where is Jimi Hendrix and music that had guts and soul and a conscience?

I read an article a few years ago where Stevie Wonder said he wouldn't get signed if he came on the scene today.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I have always disliked about auto tune is it can potentially turn anyone even without vocal talent or training into musical superstars. I dunno if that is the case a lot of the time but to me it could be.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.