Josua Madsen – Drums

Studio albums
Fear of Tomorrow (1985)
Terror Squad (1987)
By Inheritance (1990)
B.A.C.K. (1999)
When Death Comes (2009)
My Blood (2011)

I'm gonna cheat a bit and borrow the text from their website but being from Denmark I feel I should start this thread about one of the most legendary and early thrash metal bands:

Denmark’s Artillery are one of Europe’s earliest exponents of thrash metal, and the band’s contribution to the genre is difficult to ignore. The Danish quartet successfully managed to fuse an abrasive brutality with technicality and strong melodies, with the noteworthy guitar leads of the Stützer-brothers as well as the remarkable vocals from Flemming Rønsdorf serving as highlights.

The band gained worldwide recognition even before the release of their first official album; and the band’s records all assume a position as classics in the thrash genre. However, due to lack of support from record labels and internal band disputes, Artillery never achieved their breakthrough and thus split up in 1993. Several attempts at reuniting in the following years unfortunately came to no fruition.

However, in 2008 the classic core of Artillery, consisting of Morten and Michael Stützer as well as bass player Peter Thorslund and drummer Carsten N. Nielsen got back together and subsequently employed new vocalist Søren Adamsen, who provides the band with a rejuvenated energy that was first witnessed on the live DVD One Foot in the Grave, The Other One in the Trash, containing updated versions of classic material.

A new chapter in the life of Artillery is now launched with their brand new studio album, When Death Comes, filling the void between the past and the future. Yielding critical accolades from the press, as well as from new and old fans, Artillery are currently touring in support of the new album.

------------------------------------------------------------

Once I learn how to post the YouTube-links properly I'll add a bunch of songs... just a couple for now:

Khomeniac - live 2008

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Looks like you figured out the youtube links Flip.

I never heard of Artillery before, but after reading that article they sound interesting. Thrash goes a long way for me though admittedly.

Still nice thread and thanks for introducing us to a new band.(Well for some people like myself they are brand new.:grinthumb)

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Weird shit - remember the pics you couldn't see a few weeks back? Well, now it's the other way around - I can't see the videos I put up! :heheh:

Artillery were unlucky to remain a cult phenomenon - their second album (Terror Squad) was delayed so it was released after Master of Puppets. But it was in fact recorded before that album. So... Metallica were lauded for the thrash metal breakthrough and Artillery was seen as a band somewhat copying them. But it was the other way around. They were buddies and recorded together in Copenhagen in '86. Artillery did demos in '82 and their first proper album was released in 1985, Fear of Tomorrow.

Artillery had crap management and record company so they never got as big as they should've been - typical for some metal bands... but they still put out great albums and they're back in business with When Death Comes.

The band is controlled by the Stützer brothers - the two guitarists. The drummer used to attend school where I work as a teacher now. A colleague of mine was in the same class as him - small world. I went to a couple of the reunion shows at The Rock in Copenhagen. Quite a few vids on YouTube from those...

Glad you like it LG :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I edited it for you Flip,,,just open your post and you'll see how the Youtube code is embedded.

b.o.b.

Reaction score

:oy:

Last year When Death Comes was a really big surprise for me. Great come back album.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Finally got hold of two Artillery albums Flip,,,By Inheritance which is a compilation of their early stuff and When Death Comes...I'll try and get to them this week.:guitar:

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
29521.jpg

By Inheritance is a great album and the one that probably got them the most mainstream attention - but it's not a compilation album :D

f0cb9011-94c1-499e-a7c1-542bfcd6074a.jpg

The recent comeback album convinced all of their old fans that they were back with a vengeance - I caught a couple of their comeback shows both before and after it was released and they're firing on all cylinders again :D

LG, very cool you picked up a couple of albums - if it's thrash you're looking for you will not be disappointed. Here's a recent tshirt design...

shirt-3.jpg

One foot in the grave - The other one in the trash! :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it Flip, I was going by the description for Inheritance, I haven't played them yet, but either tonight or tomorrow I will give them a spin.

I like a little thrash in my diet.:guitar:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I love Artillery \m/ Great thrash. I have all their releases expect Deadly Relics.
My favorite are Fear of Tomorrow & Terror Squad. They are generally considered a bit rough around the edges compared to By Inheritance but that's the way I like my thrash a lot of the time.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
ARTILLERY To Enter Studio In November - Apr. 27, 2010
Danish thrash metal veterans ARTILLERY will enter Medley Studios in Copenhagen on November 29 with producer Søren Andersen (guitar player in Oliver Weers' solo band) to begin recording their as-yet-untitled new album for a mid-2011 release via Metal Mind Productions.

Commented guitarist Michael Stützer: "ARTILLERY is very excited to start working on the follow-up to 'When Death Comes', which received such a great response from both fans and media.

"It's great to go back to the studio only one-and-a-half years after our last effort to show the fans that ARTILLERY is working very hard to make new recordings and to tour again. And this time it won't take us 10 years to make a new album!

"We feel that the new songs will continue the style and production of our last efforts and we are looking forward to play new songs live for the best and most dedicated fans of metal."

In other news, ARTILLERY will film a new live DVD on May 22 at the Rock Hard Festival in Gelsenkirchen, Germany where the band will also celebrate the 25th anniversary of its album "Fear Of Tomorrow".

"10.000 Devils", the latest video from ARTILLERY, can be viewed below. The track comes off the band's fifth album, "When Death Comes", which was released in Europe on June 15, 2009 (via Metal Mind Productions) and in Japan on July 23, 2009 (King Records). The CD, which was issued in North America on August 11, 2009 (through MVD), was recorded at Medley with producer Søren Andersen.

Regarding the band's producer choice, guitarist Michael Stützer previously said, "We don't wanna use the same producers like all the other Danish metal bands and Søren has done the production of metal newcomer Oliver Weers' new record."

Metal Mind Productions released "One Foot in the Grave, The Other One in the Trash" on June 16, 2008 in Europe and August 5, 2008 in the USA (via MVD). According to a press release, the DVD features "a fantastic gig the thrash veterans gave at Metalmania Festival 2008. The outstanding guitar play of brothers Stützer, charismatic Carsten Nielsen's powerful drums and the uncompromising thrash energy of Søren Adamsen's voice ruthlessly hammered their way into the hearts of the headbangers assambled on that occasion.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online