The Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South (1970)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Allman-Brothers-Band-Idlewild-South-432404.jpg

Released: September 1970

Track Listing:

1. "Revival" (Dickey Betts) – 4:05

2. "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" (Gregg Allman) – 3:31

3. "Midnight Rider" (Gregg Allman, Robert Payne) – 2:59

4. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" (Dickey Betts) – 6:56

5. "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" (Willie Dixon) – 4:57

6. "Please Call Home" (Gregg Allman) – 4:02

7. "Leave My Blues at Home" (Gregg Allman) – 4:17

This was album number two from The Allman Brothers Band, widely regarded as one of the most important Southern Rock outfits in musical history.

It represents the essence of the Allman sound and definitely the place to start. Accessible without ever compromising their core values.

Here's where you'll find the classic Midnight Rider, a moody mid paced late night broozer of a tune, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, a showcase for Duane Allman's perfect blues guitar feel and Please Come Home, which highlights just what a great vocalist Gregg Allman was in the early 70's.

One thing that is often forgotten in the clamour to pour praise on the late great Duane Allman is the strength of his interplay with second lead guitarist Dickey Betts. You can hear this in spades on closer Leave My Blues At Home.

Clocking in at a mere 30 minutes (CD and digital era quality control people please take note) and expertly produced by Tom Dowd, this LP represents Southern Rock at its very best and is perfectly paced and sequenced.

I could also describe how wonderful Revivial and Don't Keep Me Wonderin are as a one-two punch opener, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for the uninitiated.

A fabulous album that will become a friend for life if you let it in. If you're wondering what this Southern Rock stuff is all about there's no better place to start.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South

Nice review Coltrane.:hab:

First time I heard of this band was in the early 70's when my older brother went to Vancouver to see their concert.

I've got that record, Eat A Peach and Live at the Filmore East.

Definitely one of the most important southern rock bands of all time.

By your reference to "CD and digital quality control People" are you saying the CD transferred very well? Or that the old analog version is better?

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Allman-Brothers-Band-Idlewild-South-432404.jpg

A fabulous album that will become a friend for life if you let it in. If you're wondering what this Southern Rock stuff is all about there's no better place to start.

Well done Coltrane! :clap: Could n`t have said it any better myself!

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score

Nice review Coltrane.:hab:

First time I heard of this band was in the early 70's when my older brother went to Vancouver to see their concert.

I've got that record, Eat A Peach and Live at the Filmore East.

Definitely one of the most important southern rock bands of all time.

By your reference to "CD and digital quality control People" are you saying the CD transferred very well? Or that the old analog version is better?

I meant the predilection for albums with 15 CD tracks (+ 4 iTunes bonus tracks) at the expense of artistic quality, rather than a comment on sound quality. The "feel the width not the quality" culture that the digital age brought us.

I also have Eat a Peach and the Filmore set, both great. I'll get some Skynyrd and Drive By Truckers reviews on here to when I have time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Okay now I get you.;)

I am against doing that myself, I want a Classic record intact without any filler or additional tracks. I have ripped some CD's and made my own perfect copy identical the original vinyl record, yeah I am a little fussy about that sort of thing...:heheh:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, a showcase for Duane Allman's perfect blues guitar feel

Actually, that's a Dickey Betts song, and showcases Dickey Betts, along with Duane Allman.

The only reason I mentioned this is because I'm a huge Dickey Betts fan, he is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. His signature Les Paul sound is legendary.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
a classic record, back when real music was being created. Right smack in the middle of the best era of rock music ('65-'81)

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Actually, that's a Dickey Betts song, and showcases Dickey Betts, along with Duane Allman.

The only reason I mentioned this is because I'm a huge Dickey Betts fan, he is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. His signature Les Paul sound is legendary.

Thanks. I was a keyboard player in my younger years, so not an expert. Whether it's Betts or Allman I'm hearing, it sounds pretty darn great.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Nice review coltrane2, I love this album, I got into these some time ago and have purchased a number of their albums over the years and you are right it has become a friend of mine:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.