Terra Naomi (Official Thread)

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I've never done one of these, so be gentle.

9824991465_7868572a17.jpg

Terra's official site:

home | terra naomi

Terra Naomi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found Terra Naomi while floating around on You Tube. Funny thing is, the first thing I heard was this goofy little cover of Jane's Addiction's Been Caught Stealing she and her band did in a dressing room somewhere.

Believe me, this does not do justice for her voice, but it was interesting and unique enough for me to dig a little deeper. I'm glad I did.

Terra is a classically trained musician, studying classical piano and voice at a handful of art schools, and eventually went to the University of Michigan to pursue a degree in opera.

I don't know if she actually graduated or not, though.

I've done a little leg work, and found articles here and there that describe her as folk, some call her sound alt rock, some say pop.

I hear a hybrid of them all, with the exception of rock. I don't know that she has anything that could be called straight rock, but then again, I don't have her entire catalogue.

I do know one thing...with the exception of a couple of covers*, she writes all her own songs, and is pretty good with a piano, as well as guitar. (even though she never learned to play guitar until after college)

The common thread in all her different sounds is her voice. Just beautiful. She has a decent range, and there's a strength in her vibrato that doesn't waver al all. She can carry a note all the way to the end, for sure. I think this may have something to do with her classical voice studies.

*The covers I mentioned can be found on this album. This is unplugged in it's
truest form. She's either playing guitar or piano, with no one else on stage.
Bridge Over Troubled Water, MJ's Billie Jean (no small feat, and pulls it off very well),
and a great version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah can all be heard here.
Just click on a song, and it'll start.

If you want to hear what she's all about, I suggest Hallelujah.

Some pop cuts:

The Vicodin Song

Not Sorry (love the chorus)

Jenny

This is a very poignant song about a girl that's grown, but has a lot of doubts and fears about her life, and needs reassurance from her mom.

Mama

It's funny. I'd never heard the name, but felt like I already knew these cuts:

Up Here

Flesh For Bones

Her discography is a little fuzzy. I found some eps and some acoustic things with 4-5 tracks that I couldn't trace back to her, so just to play it safe, I'm only listing what's on her site.

9824016274_8d33622ccb.jpg

9824005076_c27b595756_n.jpg

9824112973_d2f9a3ec54_n.jpg

9823961824_38992d48e6_n.jpg

9824064043_a6a1b0773b_n.jpg

9824027374_0082e8d043_n.jpg

9824002236_ab6e4a1fcf.jpg

If you like this, go to You Tube and you won't have to look hard to find her.

There are countless vids of her, because she'll pick up a guitar in her living room and play a song in front of a camera, then post it. She's very informal in that way. Doesn't worry about lighting, production, blah blah.

When the urge hits her, she'll play a song and share it. Unheard of nowadays.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Really cool act. Thanks for the heads up! Great work on the thread, btw!

Mistral Wind

Reaction score
I knew this girl thanks to the fact she's friend with my favorite singer, Elisa...
They made a duet on a Joni Mitchell's song named River.
Well, I think Terra Naomi is very talented... I like her voice and some of her songs.

River - Elisa feat. Terra Naomi

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online