Temple of the Dog - is it in ruins?

why?zag!

Reaction score
does anybody still remember and listen to the 'temple of the dog' ???

just a teaser to get the ones who haven't stepped into the 'Temple of the dog' (cant believe it though).........

reminds me that great things come in small,very small packages.....

(wikipedia) -

"Hunger Strike" was written by vocalist Chris Cornell. It features a duet between Cornell and vocalist Eddie Vedder. Cornell was having trouble with the vocals at practice, when Vedder stepped in. Cornell later said "he sang half of that song not even knowing that I'd wanted the part to be there and he sang it exactly the way I was thinking about doing it, just instinctively.
Cornell on the song:
When we started rehearsing the songs, I had pulled out "Hunger Strike" and I had this feeling it was just kind of gonna be filler, it didn't feel like a real song. Eddie was sitting there kind of waiting for a [Mookie Blaylock] rehearsal and I was singing parts, and he kind of humbly—but with some balls—walked up to the mic and started singing the low parts for me because he saw it was kind of hard. We got through a couple choruses of him doing that and suddenly the light bulb came on in my head, this guy's voice is amazing for these low parts. History wrote itself after that, that became the single.
Guitarist Mike McCready on the song:
I remember thinking that this was a really beautiful song when I heard it. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) showed me the riff. I had a '62 reissue Strat and I wanted to use the fourth-position tone setting—between the bridge and middle pickups—for the beginning of the song because I like that softer sound. Then I kicked it to the front pickup for the heavier part of the song. This is one of many amazing songs written by Chris.
unquote

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
Really good album. It's not really a particularly important album in the grand scheme of things but for anyone who likes/liked any of that style, I'd recommend it. Hunger Strike is definitely not the best tune on the album though.

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score
Ok, I'm teased. :tup: Not bad. runtfan, you might want to add clips that you think are better representations of Temple of the Dog... I'm interested.

Syd

Reaction score
I love that album. Its one of those masterpieces (at least in my opinion) that not many people know since it was a 1 album thing. Chris Cornell is coming to Chile in november 12 I think ... and Pearl Jam plays here in november 16 ... so some people started a campaing to have chris cornell at the pearl jam concert to sing hunger strike with eddie vedder. hjaja.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I have their one album and it's a good spin. I think it's most interesting that Eddie and Chris were both involved with this album and both went on to have such great success with their later bands.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Well if they are going to play together it will be either Sept 3 or Sept 4th at PJ20 in Alpine Valley. :df:

2612773928_9919bb1e7e.jpg

Last edited:

why?zag!

Reaction score
Really good album. It's not really a particularly important album in the grand scheme of things but for anyone who likes/liked any of that style, I'd recommend it. Hunger Strike is definitely not the best tune on the album though.

aye aye runtfan, agree completely :)

but as far as i know they never released any other videos except for this single (would somebody please prove me wrong :wa )

maybe 'not definitely the best tune', but the lead single "Hunger Strike" was the most successful song from Temple of the Dog on the rock charts, reaching number four on the Mainstream Rock charts and number seven on the Modern Rock charts

btw the name "Temple of the Dog" is a reference to a line in the lyrics of the Mother Love Bone song, "Man of Golden Words". The lyric from which the name derives is "Seems I've been living in the temple of the dog."

nice to know a follower of the TOTD :cheers2

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Well if they are going to play together it will be either Sept 3 or Sept 4th at PJ20 in Alpine Valley. :df:

2612773928_9919bb1e7e.jpg
Yeap confirmed hunger strike was played live on sept 3, 2011 Eddie, Chris and pj Boys nailed. Look for a live version DVD soon. :) awesome day and nite can't wait for day two although tonight we were 6th row center and tomorrow 50 rows back.

6117423565_664f3b8b4b.jpg

Last edited:

ecisgod

Reaction score
Can't wait for this DVD! I just saw Cornell recently live in Toronto at the queen elizabeth Theatre and PJ is here (Hamilton) on Thursday 15th!!

joe

Reaction score
Huge album back in the day. A classic from the "Seattle Sound". Another supergroup to check out is Mad Season with thier debut, Above from 1994. Layne Staley from AIC, Pearl Jam's Mike McCready on guitar, bassist John Sauders from The Walkabouts, a Seattle alt./country/rock band and drummer Barrett Martin from those hellraisers, The Screaming Trees.

As Temple Of The Dog helped opened the flood gates out of Seattle, Mad Season somewhat put a closure on it three years later.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online