Technique vs. Feeling

gorgon

Reaction score
Feel. I like the way Slash bends strings, and I like him more than say Buckethead, who is far better technically, but I'd rather listen to Slash.

Favorite Guitar players:
Jimi
Page
Angus
Sonic Smith
Billy Gibbons
Hetfield
Downing/Tipton
Gary Moore
Blackmore
Slash

In about that order.

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
I like players who play with feel AND are technically advanced. Some of my favorites in that category:

Marty Friedman
Jimmy Page
Eddie Van Halen
Brian May
Eric Johnson
Alex Lifeson (sometimes)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think most people probably consider their favorites to have feel. I mean, I doubt Vai and Malmsteen fans go around saying "I love that he has no feel, he's just pure technique." They probably get emotions from their music just the same.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I tend to enjoy the virtuoso of a guitarist who possesses the ability to use many different techniques to bring out a feeling in the music. They make the music speak to you...........

Many guitarists have this ability and so do many others, like Michael Hedges for instance. He could make a guitar sound like many instruments were playing at once via technique.

Another virtuoso I enjoy is Sigur Ros. Another guitarist with unusual techniques to bring out different sounds and feelings with the guitar.

Two guitarists with incredible technique and feel would have to be Buckethead and Michael Angelo Batio. They can be one man bands. Batio is a god with the double guitar.

As far as more mainstream guitarists, I would have to give props to David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Tom Morello, Steve Vai, Satch, Slash, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Peter Frampton, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi

The guitarists for "feeling" would include almost ALL guitarists in the Blues Genre.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have to admit generally I am a bigger shredding fan. Basically technique is what interests me more in a guitarist.

Phantasmagoria

Reaction score
Though I'm a huge shred fan, I've always been into both... a great player is a great player. Period.

Having said that, when a player has nothing but speed/technical chops and bends notes false/has terrible vibrato, it's painful to listen to (Ie, like Francesco Fareri...)

Some of my favourite players..

Yngwie Malmsteen
Lars Johansson (Candlemass)
Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)
James Murphy (Death, Obituary,Testament etc)
Tommy Vetterli (Coroner)
Angus Young
Jon Drenning (Crimson Glory)
Gary Moore
Tony Iommi
Jeff Waters (Annihilator)
Steve Vai
Marty Friedman
Smith/Murray (Maiden)
Sherman/Denning (Mercyful Fate)
Cutler/Coralles (Autopsy)
Tipton/Downing (Priest)
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Guy
John Petrucci
Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings)

...and way too many more.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix is the ideal for me, having tremendous feel, but being very fast as well. Guitarists in this style include Tony McPhee and Robin Trower. I find those those of the shredding genre a bit difficult to listen to, but I do so now and again.

The jazz-rock style players like Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola, John McLaughin, Pat Thrall, Gary Boyle also combine feel with being super-fast. I've heard John McLaughlin say in interviews that the shredders are faster than him, but I am not sure I agree. I prefer jazz-rock to the shredders, but, again, have to listen in small doses.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I like to hear a good balance of both. What gets me about certain "prog" rock or metal bands ie spiral architect or from at least one album I had from them is it sounded too mechanical and mathematical. Sure they have great technique but the overall finished products sound sterile and almost unlistenable.

gorgon

Reaction score
I've heard John McLaughlin say in interviews that the shredders are faster than him, but I am not sure I agree.
The thing with his speed is that there is still a sense of musical creativeness and awe inspiring clean technique that comes through with his playing that isn't produced by most shredders. With most shredders it seems like they're speeding along the path of least resistance. When I hear a shredder I think "wow, he's fast. When I hear John Mc I think "holy shit, he's a wizard."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online