Technique vs. Feeling

wired2max

Reaction score
Mostly intended in regards to the electric guitar.

Do you prefer the shredding virtuosos ala John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani; or the soul and feeling based players such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, David Gilmour and Jimmy Page. (Although SRV and Page can blur the line into both, I believe they are still more regarded for their feel. )

This can also apply to drummers i.e. the swing and dynamism of John Bonham vs the technical kit mastery of Neil Peart.

Or it can apply to any other instrument you so desire.

Like the triangle.

Or the oboe.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Feel. A machine can do technique. It takes an artist to really make his instrument 'speak'.

That said, Neil Peart is my favorite drummer both for his technique and feel. I really like drummers like Nick Mason, Joe D'Amico, Bill Ward etc but Neil is something a little better to me.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
what is wrong with guys that can do both feel and technique
Bruford and John McLaughlin come to mind.

Reddy4u2

Reaction score
Feel. A machine can do technique. It takes an artist to really make his instrument 'speak'.

David Gilmour really makes his music speak.
This one time, I was half asleep, listening to On An Island by David Gilmour, and I swear I heard words. It was like, words combined with guitar. It was awesome.

I usually like feel more, though sometimes I like to rock out with some technique in EVH or hair metal bands.

Khor1255

Reaction score
People used to call the lead in this song 'talking guitar' but I never really heard it. I love the song and the lead but I just think it has a lot of feel.

Aero

Reaction score
I appreciate a guitarist who can 'feel' the music much more than one who just shreds. Andrew Latimer is a perfect example of this. Just listen to how he plays his instrument...almost like he's one with it.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Joe Satriani and he would most definitely fall under the catagory of "feel" and not "technical" guitarists. People have been lumping him in with the Vai's and Malmsteen's of this world for decades and he is certainly nothing like them.

I used to be a big fan of the technical aspect of guitar, going around bragging about how awesome this guy was or how this guy or that guy can "blow the doors" off of this other guy. as I got older I realized more how guys can convey their emotions through their instruments i.e David Gilmour or Alvin Lee or whoever. So I most definitely go for feel over technique, but the two can go together.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
On the whole I go for feel though I do appreciate technique as well, however I will almost always go for the old Peter Green feel over say a Paul Gilbert shred.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
One more note if I really want to hear the beauty of a guitar I tend to jump to classical guitarists. They bring it all.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I agree with you AK, classical guitarists are amazing both technically and with feel.

I like many of both the "shredders" when I'm in that mood and the "muses" like David Gilmour who for my money can do more with one note than just about any other electric guitarist I've ever listened to over the years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online