Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Talking+Heads.jpg

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Talking Heads: 77 (1977)
More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978)
Fear of Music (1979)
Remain in Light (1980)
Speaking in Tongues (1983)
Little Creatures (1985)
True Stories (1986)
Naked (1988)

Talking Heads formed in 1974. They are one of the most adventurous bands in rock history. Their sound draws from funk, minimalism, and Brazilain/African music to create a totally unique and visionary sound. The Talking Heads emerged from the New York sound scene, the same scene that brought us the Ramones, Blondie, and The Strokes.

The Talking Heads had a sound that was quite different, though, it was artsy and abstract. Figures this coming from 4 college educated art students! They approaced their music like a blank piece of canvas, and let the first line dictate where the next line was going. Very spontaneous in their music.

My favorite album is "Speaking in Tongues"

200px-Talking_Heads_-_Speaking_in_Tongues.jpg

check out Tina Weymouth on the bass! She still rocks :)

Reaction score
Re: Talking Heads

Love the band, one of the few bands I can listen to any album and be happy
favorite songs are
"Psycho Killer"
"And She Was"
"Swamp"

more I just can't remember too, but its a very fun band, great summer music =)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I liked these guys, and owned 4 of their albums on vinyl now I just have Little Creatures, Speaking in Tongues and a Greatest Hits compilation.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Talking heads song "Listening Wind" will be a cover song on Peter Gabriel's upcoming release "Scratch My Back". Evidently Gabriel is doing nothing but covers on this album and asked the artists he is covering to do covers of his songs too......scratch my back :)

Listening Wind off the Remain in Light album

TalkingHeadsRemaininLight.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

You have to give credit to any band that could turn a track named "Psho Killer" into a nationwide hit! What's really ironic is that with their neatly trimmed locks they looked like anything but psycho killers - in stark contrast to the hair band look that had been completely dominating rock since the late sixties:

Psycho Killer

:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I bought Remain in Light when it came out, but I didn't really like it that much, it just never stuck with me for some reason...:dunno:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Little Creatures was the only one I liked well enough to keep over the years. The few others I'd bought were sold a long time ago. I liked their better-known songs a lot, but most of their album tracks just didn't resonate with me for some reason. LC is certainly their most accessible album, with tracks that take no time at all to get to like. Of course the flip side of that kind of accessibility in music in general is that sometimes it can get tiresome quickly when there isn't anything of interest there to reward repeated listening.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I just burned LC a few days ago Craig, from FLAC of course.

I like the album because it is just a fun trip to take for 40 minutes, and the percussion is really good, adds a lot to the songs for me.

And I love the cover.:D

talking_heads_little_creatures_se_f.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online