Tagging CRF Members In Posts

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score
Just wondering if there was maybe a way that people can "tag" other CRF member's usernames in their posts, and then that member would get notified every time they got tagged, so then they can automatically see what the post was without having to go back to the thread and recheck to see if anyone has quoted them and replied...

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I can see two things that would be bad about this, but i'm sure it'd be an interesting idea.

1)The forum would start to look too much like Facebook, and...people already have Facebook. If anything, you could just hyperlink their name.

2)Considering people quote people a lot, getting notification after notification after notification would get annoying after a while.

Though...the good thing I can see is that it wouldn't happen UNLESS the member was tagged. In which case, I would think there could be an option to allow a member to allow themselves to be tagged or not.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Two things:

people already have Facebook.
^^^ This

2)Considering people quote people a lot, getting notification after notification after notification would get annoying after a while.
^^^^ And OMG this!!!

There used to be a hack for vbulletin that you could use "paging <forum name>" and it would send a PM to that member letting them know that they are wanted in that thread. Not a horrible way of letting people know without sending a lengthy PM and also helps for people who don't read every single thread on a site.

Not sure if that's still available or working. Not to mention I dunno if the site admins would want to use it anyway.

It can be abused by idiots, but then again, just about anything can.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have subscribed to the threads I post in...you set that in your Options in your User CP. Can be a pain in the butt cleaning out all the notifications in my e-mail, but it helps me check on things even if I am not logged in. So if one of my forum buddies posts in the same thread I get the heads up automatically.

Harkat

Reaction score
Perhaps Jimmy meant that they got notified for a single post and would not get notified for anything quoted.

I don't think its a bad idea but there is nothing wrong with sending those people a visitor or private message.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't see the point in a tag system for when your post is being quoted in a thread by someone...it happens all the time. It doesn't take long to open a thread and scan over it to see who said what anyway, that is what a forum is for.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This 'tagging' would cause an extra work load on our server.

you have to make up your mind if you want to be notified everytime someone references you vs. the pages loading very slowly (which is what will happen given the amount of quotes we see)

I dont understand the "tagging" on facebook because I don't use facebook, I would have to have a full description of what that is!!!!

@ lynch.....I checked around for that hack, and evidently it isn't in use anymore.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I dont understand the "tagging" on facebook because I don't use facebook, I would have to have a full description of what that is!!!!

Basically, when someone is doing a status update, you click the "@" symbol, and start typing in the persons name. The name will show up and you click it, and their name will become linked into your status update. It makes it so if people want to see what the person looks like or to see their profile, they can click on the link. I've gotten quite a few requests from people I don't even know because of it. It's rather annoying.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online