Syd Barrett Exhibition/Lauch of new Barrett book

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't think any of the band members including David Gilmour wanted anything but the best for Syd, it could just as easily been one of them in his place. Credit to David for being a true friend.

Dual

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, it was Gilmour that said that, but as you say, I think the band genuinely missed the guy and liked him a great deal but it was just because he was so 'out there' and not playing with a full deck at the time that they had to remove him from the band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
How many solo albums did Syd release before or after he was part of PF Dual?

Dual

Reaction score
He released two solo albums after he left Pink Floyd, both in 1970, The Madcap Laughs and Barrett.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've heard of Madcap Laughs but not the ST one, thanks.:hab:

Dual

Reaction score
This is probably my favourite track from Piper at the Gates:

The epitome of 'psychedelic' in my opinion.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is a good song...I have a DVD of David Gilmour in concert in London, and he does a tribute to Syd, can't remember if it's Fat Old Sun or something else,,,my memory is not what it used to be but it did show that even up to a few years ago he still thought of Syd.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I've seen 2 much Syd bashing of the type Syd was totally mad, etc. that it's NOT funny anymore
I could be wrong, but I really doubt that anyone laughs or giggles when they talk about how Syd was nuts. He was. His bandmates knew it. The people around him knew it. Actions speak louder than words and when words and actions provide proof..... I dunno what you might want.

Reportedly the guy also dabbled way too much in things that didn't help his mental state or his health.

Anyway, bottom line, I have heard many a person over the years mention Syd, and never once heard anyone laugh at his mental issues. Not one.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
He released two solo albums after he left Pink Floyd, both in 1970, The Madcap Laughs and Barrett.
At some point in the early or mid 70's (I believe it was that timeframe) he sold the rights to his solo albums back to the record company, took the money and went to a hotel for quite a while, sitting around doing nothing but drugs. I can't say for fact this is true, but I do remember reading this on more than one occasion from different stories.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
I've heard of Madcap Laughs but not the ST one, thanks.:hab:

Madcap Laughs and Barrett are two wonderful albums. While Madcap is a fantastic album, Barrett had better production IMO. Many have said that you could tell that Syd was going through a breakdown from listening to his two solo albums but I hardly notice it. Both albums contain beautiful songs pleasing to the aural senses. For example:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online