Swans (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
SWANS............. are an influential avant garde/post punk band from New York City U.S . Initially active from 1982 - 97, led by the deep dark solemn style vocalist MICHAEL GIRA. This year 2010 ..the band have been reactivated with new album and tour. I finally got to see them recently at Manchester University,with my son, where the band were impressive,playing to a capacity crowd.

http://swans.pair.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swans_(band)

Current line up

Michael Gira vocals/guitar
Chris Hahn guitar
Norman Westberg guitar
Thor Harris percussion,keyboards etc
Chris Pravdica bass
Phil Puleo drums

.:wa............sadly missing is female vocalist JARBOE.....who went solo,but had played a major part in SWANS development

Attachments

• imagesCA80QUKR.jpg
    imagesCA80QUKR.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 78
  • swans12801-0_large.jpg
    swans12801-0_large.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 78
  • B000060OHW_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45172658_.jpg
    B000060OHW_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45172658_.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Swans

I think I have a couple of their albums LOU, I'll have to check and make sure...:think:

Nice to see you writing again...:cheers2

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

SWANS Discography [studio albums]

Filth 1983
Cop 84
Greed 86
Children of god 87
The burning world 89
White light from the mouth of infinity 91
Love of life 92
The great annihilator 95
Die tur ist zu 96
Soundtracks for the blind 96
My father will guide me up a rope to the sky 2010

..........plus many live albums/solo stuff etc
Also a mention to Giras other musical project - THE ANGELS OF LIGHT who have done a few albums
The early SWANS material is quite difficult to get into...more Art/Industrial/noise.
My personal favorite SWANS albums are "The great annihilator":bow: and the very dark gothic sounding "Children of god "
Vocalist Michael Giras singing can be that deep.....you can be convinced the records playing at the wrong speed.:heheh:
I just love the doom and gloom......one of my favorite bands !!!!

Attachments

• A-154588-1146914506.jpg
    A-154588-1146914506.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 220px-Swans_whitelightfromthemouthofinfinity.jpg
    220px-Swans_whitelightfromthemouthofinfinity.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 74
  • SANNY.jpg
    SANNY.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 74

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Gira definitely has a very unique voice. He is a very gifted musician and songwriter, even if his music does not appeal to the masses. (or to me)

I have taken a listen to his newest album. Although the music is nothing at all like his more melodic period, and I guess it goes back to his root beginings, you can hear his fury and gloom. He is not afraid to put together oposing sounds for a totally droning outcome.....QOTSA fans will love this stuff!!!!

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Great observations Magic ! While I love SWANS....they can at times be so annoyingly "arty"....when we saw them recently they played a set where I only recognised one song,which when you see a band can be a big dissapointment.
No songs from as you say his more melodic period [sob]....guess they were promoting the new album. They were repetive ,noisy,uncompromising......and afterwards I asked my son what he thought expecting him to say " Dad they were a load of noise"...but no he thought they were great,very provoking. SWANS went down a storm with the student crowd......I got the impression I was alone,scratching my head :bonk:

Attachments

• swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 63
  • Swans-1-250-250-85-nocrop.jpg
    Swans-1-250-250-85-nocrop.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Kids these days do seem to have a great appreciation for the free-form, put it together and let's see what happnes musical art. Swans does fit into that category, IMHO.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

JARBOE

Heres a selection of a few tracks by the ex SWANS female vocalist. I checked out her discography...its pretty huge full of projects,guest appearances and collaborations.
JARBOE is still making good music,her haunting voice is pure perfection :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
........and SWANS are back with another new album "The Seer " . Overall some very good reviews, but beware the album lasts 2 hours ! :wtf: ....you may need some patience. Jarboe guests as does the singer from Yeah Yeah Yeahs

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Heres a classic sample from "The Seer ". Im still overwhelmed about the positive feedback this epic dark soundscape has had.
....... a listening experience

The Apostate

Venomous Mask

Keeper of the slime
Reaction score
Swans are great. It's kind of sad that The Burning World doesn't get more recognition; it's a brilliant album.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online