Suicidal Depressive Black Metal

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Haha, just started listening to this style. Traditionally I've been pretty negative towards any and all 3rd wave black metal outside of a couple of specific bands. But a couple days ago I've been listening to bands such as Gris and Trist and I must say I'm impressed.

It's like a heavier and, if I may say so myself, much cooler version of post-rock. What I mainly like about it is the vocals, though. Throw some top-notch harsh vocals on top of Godspeed and it might still be better than Suicidal Depressive Black Metal.

Any fans here?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...Nice thread AboutAGirl, but this is not my kind of metal. I just don't do the gutteral vocals. But we do have a few fans of the genre in here, maybe they like this band.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I know I'm being an anal-retentive nit-picker here but black metal vocals really aren't gutteral; that's more of a death metal trait. Black metal vocals could be called shrill, harsh, umm.... reminiscent of a cat being stuffed through a paper shredder. But not gutteral, if I may say so.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
What I mainly like about it is the vocals, though.
To me, that's the biggest drawback to black/goth/doom/death metal. A lot of it, I really like the music. Some of it is top notch, but the vocals (or lackthereof) are the thing that keeps me from listening to most of this music.

But hey, to each his or her own. If you like it, then you best play it! :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If you say so AboutAGirl, Lynch has nailed it spot on for me. Some really excellent music, and then the screeching, droning, growling, squealing vocals kick in and I am off the reservation at that point for 99% of the bands in this genre.;)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Type O Negative is about as close as I get to this kind of stuff. And that is in very small and infrequent doses. Being an upbeat person by nature, I like my music the same way.

I suspect Dr. Phil would have a field day with this fan base, though. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I actually like Type O Negative myself, I have three of their albums, but as you said definitely for a special kind of mood.

Reaction score
To me, that's the biggest drawback to black/goth/doom/death metal. A lot of it, I really like the music. Some of it is top notch, but the vocals (or lackthereof) are the thing that keeps me from listening to most of this music.

But hey, to each his or her own. If you like it, then you best play it! :cheers:

I tend to stay away from the metal section, but for modern metal Lynch pretty much used the exact same words I would:grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I guess it was a pipe dream for me to think I could talk about good metal on a classic rock forum. Sucks 'cause all the metal forums are either people who don't listen to the stuff I like or people who are super-purists and those guys don't listen to music the way I do. They wanna make one post about 100 bands and I wanna make 100 posts about 1 band, so our discussions never go anywhere at all.

I know we've got fellow Nirvana fans around here, so let me explain it this way.... The things I love about Black Metal are the same things I loved about Nirvana as a kid. As I grow older, I can't get the same feelings out of albums I've listened to one million times. I can't pop in In Utero and experience the same emotions I did when I was 16. So I have to end up on the extreme side of the spectrum just to get those same feelings. Kurt's angry drawl has long since entered the canon, so if I want to hear a vocalist that expresses anger, I can't just go listen to someone who sounds the same as that.

Not that I expect to change anyone's mind, of course. Jut offering a different perspective on it. A lot of people have trouble with harsh vocals but gosh... don't you get tired of the same old vocal styles ad nauseum for the rest of your life? Voice has always been my favorite instrument and harsh vocals are quite likely the most expressive form of singing I've ever heard.

Oh well...

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I guess it was a pipe dream for me to think I could talk about good metal on a classic rock forum. Sucks 'cause all the metal forums are either people who don't listen to the stuff I like or people who are super-purists and those guys don't listen to music the way I do. They wanna make one post about 100 bands and I wanna make 100 posts about 1 band, so our discussions never go anywhere at all.

I know we've got fellow Nirvana fans around here, so let me explain it this way.... The things I love about Black Metal are the same things I loved about Nirvana as a kid. As I grow older, I can't get the same feelings out of albums I've listened to one million times. I can't pop in In Utero and experience the same emotions I did when I was 16. So I have to end up on the extreme side of the spectrum just to get those same feelings. Kurt's angry drawl has long since entered the canon, so if I want to hear a vocalist that expresses anger, I can't just go listen to someone who sounds the same as that.

Not that I expect to change anyone's mind, of course. Jut offering a different perspective on it. A lot of people have trouble with harsh vocals but gosh... don't you get tired of the same old vocal styles ad nauseum for the rest of your life? Voice has always been my favorite instrument and harsh vocals are quite likely the most expressive form of singing I've ever heard.

Oh well...

Hey man, I'll pm you a handful of users here who are into the metal you are for the most part but honestly you aren't in a different boat than most are. Everybody does this to a degree. People will not like a whiny vocalist like in a lot of the Emo bands that I post! Who cares I like it as a thirty year old who doesn't dress up in black and cut their wrist. The last post I made with the group Mindless Self Indulgence had only one commenter and it wasn't positive. It's actually partly due to vocals too. No problem because I like them. I must say it was constructively done though so no loss.

It takes a thick skin because no matter what forum you go too unfortunately unless you go for an easy one like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles or any of the standbys you are going to be lucky to get feedback at all besides a handful of posters who already like your bands. As long as you like it and you've represented a band well it's all that matters! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online