2003 Michigan
2004 Seven Swans
2005 Illinois
2006 The Avalanche: Outtakes and Extras from the Illinois Album
2006 Songs for Christmas
2009 The BQE
2010 All Delighted People (EP)
2010 The Age of Adz

I discovered an album and an artist over the past two weeks and my mind is totally blown. Sufjan Stevens is an independent singer-songwriter who this past July released his fifth album, a sprawling masterpiece called Illinoise (a.k.a. "Sufjan Stevens invites you to Come On Feel the Illinoise"). To try to explain this musical magical mystery tour of the "Land of Lincoln" is to try to give voice to the unspeakable. You simply have to experience it.

I haven't been this excited about an all-new project or a young artist in a long, long time. I highly recommend this incredible work. I've already started procuring his other albums, getting the first one yesterday. This guy is an experimental pop music genius of the first magnitude (think of Brian Wilson's SMiLE or Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle--that's the kind of magnitude we're talking about here). If there is any justice, he will influence a new generation of serious young musicians to walk boldly where lesser angels fear to tread.

Welcome to the future. Enjoy the ride.

Peace,
The Rev

Last edited:

algernon

Reaction score
Re: I have heard the future of music, and his name is Sufjan Stevens.

Wow! You guys agree on something! I'll definitely check this guy out.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

"I have heard the future of music, and his name is Sufjan Stevens."

Wow. Sounds like the second coming of Bruce Springsteen. I'll have to check him out.

Spike

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

It is in fact a little rare (though not unheard of) for NDF and I to agree...what that says about our mutual admiration for this young upstart is for the rest of you good folk to decide! :D

Let me warn anyone who rushes out to buy Illinoise that it is definitely NOT rock and roll. If you go into this album looking for the future of rock, you will be very frustrated. That's why I said "the future of music".

If you want to hear this guy's approach to rock (which is equally impressive), start with his debut album from 2000, A Sun Came.

Peace,
The Rev

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

Loved Sufjan Stevens since I heard Michigan. Great album. Illinois is right up there with it in quality. Most excellent artist. I agree, he might well be headed towards being one of the greats from this era.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Sufjan Stevens

I'm only 9 albums behind (5 official ones technically) :heheh: but I bought my first even Sufjan Stevens album and I LOVE it! Orchestral, folky and weird! It's Heaven!:

Age of Adz
sufjan-stevens-the-age-of-adz.jpg

I love every song so far but here's a couple to check out:

Age of Adz

Now That I'm Older

Vesuvius

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Here's an artist I forgot about until right now honestly. Not to say I haven't listened to him, he's a brilliant artist, unfortunately...I wasn't really into the whole folkish vibe at the time, so it was difficult to really understand the music and the genre. Granted this was a few years ago. There's really no way for me to say which songs i've heard, or which albums they were from because I quite frankly cannot remember. BUT, I am going to look into getting a few albums soon. (adding it to my ridiculous list of pending albums that I need to get), and I think I will start with this:

Enjoy_Your_Rabbit_album_cover_-_Sufjan_Stevens.jpg

My reason for choosing that album first? Look at the track list, it's incredible. I know I know, basing my decision on a track list, but seriously, look at it!

"Year of the Asthmatic Cat"
"Year of the Monkey"
"Year of the Rat"
"Year of the Ox"
"Year of the Boar"
"Year of the Tiger"
"Year of the Snake"
"Year of the Sheep"
"Year of the Rooster"
"Year of the Dragon"
"Enjoy Your Rabbit"
"Year of the Dog"
"Year of the Horse"
"Year of Our Lord"

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The Age of Adz album has an awesome 25 minute closer called Impossible Soul! I LOVE IT! Here's areally cool live performance of the latter half of that song! :grinthumb

Impossible Soul

As far as Sufjans material overall I had never heard the early stuff. Our friend Sal who knew the earlier stuff listened to some of the new material and told me that this was experimental Sufjan. I must be spoiled hearing that stuff first because I'm having a hard time backing up with this guy. I downloaded "Illinois" and think it's fine but it doesn't do half as much for me at this point. :tongue:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online