Styx (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Here's another 70's band I fell in love with so many years ago. I bought The Grand Illusion when it was released and wore it out.:D I always enjoyed the lighthearted music Styx created, even though they started out as a prog/art rock band and ended up as one of the most famous "Arena Rock" bands ever. I personally don't like that term, but oh well I can't change it.

My Collection:

Styx (Debut)
Equinox
Crystal Ball
The Grand Illusion
Pieces Of Eight

I used to have Cornerstone and Paradise Theater on vinyl but they are long gone now.

One of my favorite songs.

My two favorite albums, they are in a dead heat I like them both equally.

Styx_The_Grand_Illusion-Front-wwwFr.jpg

Styx_Pieces_Of_Eight-Front-wwwFreeC.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Styx

Wow I am the only Styx fan in the forum...who knew?...:lmao:

Okay here I am on my island and I'll talk about the early days of the band. In this case the very first album which was a progressive rock concept record, sounds funny seeing the later works were much more mainstream but early Styx is almost like a different band.

I've only got the first album, then I pick up at Equinox, so if anyone else has any light to shine on the CD's in between feel free to help out.:D

I can't find a video of the first track which is the best one to show off the prog side of the band, but here are the covers anyway.

Styx_Styx_I-Front-wwwFreeCoversnet.jpg

Styx_Styx_I-Back-wwwFreeCoversnet.jpg

runtfan

Reaction score

No, Grendel, you're not the only Styx fan around here. I've been a fan ever since they started plaiyng "Lady" on the radio (1975 or so). During my high school years, Styx was one of my top few bands. I have everything on CD, including the Wooden Nickel releases. My favorite albums are Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, and Crystal Ball. The early albums are really good and it's kinda surprising Styx took as long as they did to break out. I think the key for Styx though was getting Tommy Shaw in the band - that put them over the top, adding a great writer, singer, and guitarist to an already good band. Styx made their early reputation on tight, professional live shows and have always maintained that - maybe to a fault - I've seen them probably 7 or 8 times and they're always good but there's almost never any surprises - same setlist and even some of the same between song stage banter. I'd like to see them throw the audiences some curves ( come on, do we REALLY need to hear Too Much Time On My Hands again???). I saw them on their tour in '96, after Tommy Shaw had gotten back with them and they played a long show with several surprises...since then I've seen them another 4 or 5 times and seen pretty much the exact same show every time...just wish they'd mix it up.
Anyway, great band with an excellent, unique sound and great tunes.

Just before they broke out really big, they played an afternoon assembly at the local high school ( I was only in junior high at the time) and some older friends of mine were telling me about this great band that had played that day.

Interesting factoid - Dennis DeYoung, Chuck Panozzo, and John Panozzo all got degrees and taught school for a time before the band hit the big time. James Young also has a degree.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thanks for the great background story Runtfan, and glad to see another fan here. "Lady" was the first song that introduced me to Styx, and I have only seen them in concert once, on the Paradise Theater tour, it was a good show.

I agree with you about them hitting their peak when Tommy Shaw joined up, like the missing ingredient that catapulted them to the next level of success.

runtfan

Reaction score

Also, if you dig into the old (i.e. pre-Tommy Shaw) Styx, you have to give some props to John Curulewski, who Tommy Shaw replaced. He was a good guitarist, writer, and singer too...Tommy Shaw was just better at everything, IMO, and he also added alot of energy and showmanship to their live shows. James Young and Dennis DeYoung were used to co-fronting the band and hogging all the attention and spotlight and then Tommy Shaw came along and gave them a run for their money. Shaw was a great performer and was a hit with the ladies and Young and DeYoung had to relenquish some of the spotlight. I'm sure their egos took a bit of a hit - especially James Young who had to share guitar solos and eventually lost alot of his lead vocals to Tommy Shaw's superior voice.
Seems John Curulewski just missed out on Styx's good fortunes.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I'm a fan of Styx & I became a fan after I got Grand Illusion also. I love the 5 albums you have listed Lord. Cornerstone was one album I hated especially "Babe".
One of my favorite songs by them is "Half-Penny Two Penny".
I picked up the 'Caught in the Act' DVD when it was rereleased last year & really like it. I know they seemed to take a lot of abuse with the Kilroy album & tour but I really like the DVD & think the show was pretty cool. I also love all the Bonus videos on the DVD

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I never had a problem with John Curulewski, like you said it was timing as much as anything else.

The way you described Shaw's arrival and his pushing JY and DD I consider a good thing, made the band even better despite them both giving up some of the spotlight as a result.

Nice to see you in here Bucky,,,:D

I remember reading that the band touring now without Dennis DeYoung won't play Babe at their shows, as a gesture of respect to Dennis who wrote it as a tribute for his wife.

rtbuck

Reaction score

I never had a problem with John Curulewski, like you said it was timing as much as anything else.

The way you described Shaw's arrival and his pushing JY and DD I consider a good thing, made the band even better despite them both giving up some of the spotlight as a result.

Nice to see you in here Bucky,,,:D

I remember reading that the band touring now without Dennis DeYoung won't play Babe at their shows, as a gesture of respect to Dennis who wrote it as a tribute for his wife.

That's cool. Of course I'd love to see DeYoung back in Styx but I don't mind Gowan. Actually years ago(early 80's) I was in a record store & bought Larry Gowan's first record. I never heard of him but on the album cover was a big sticker that said "Featuring Kim Mitchell on Guitar" so I bought it immediately

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I used to have Gowan's debut album on vinyl, and I was surprised when he replaced DeYoung in Styx, but I like him. I just Found a copy of Universal Juveniles a couple of weeks ago, and now the CD in is my library. I like Kim Mitchell, solo and in Max Webster.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I saw Styx with Gowan on keyboards at Massey Hall in Toronto in the mid-nineties. I enjoyed the concert but I thought Gowan really stole the show. They did perform Gowan's "Criminal Mind".

:****:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online