Styx (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The first Styx I ever heard on AM radio was from this album. Side 1 was all over the radio. So my clear favorite.

You must have had some killer AM stations in your area back then. Around here AM radio was horrible. About the only station we could get was run by the university, and of course a couple talk radio stations.

Back in '77 I was still listening to the teenage hot 100 FM radio stations. The best one was Q102 which played disco. :gig

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
You must have had some killer AM stations in your area back then. Around here AM radio was horrible. About the only station we could get was run by the university, and of course a couple talk radio stations.

Back in '77 I was still listening to the teenage hot 100 FM radio stations. The best one was Q102 which played disco. :gig

Actually, Chicago had one top 40 AM station, 89-WLS.

I didn't have an FM radio outside of the combined thing on top of the TV.

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Actually, Chicago had one top 40 AM station, 89-WLS.

I didn't have an FM radio outside of the combined thing on top of the TV.

I'm from Upper Michigan, after the sun went down we were WCFL fans back in the late 60's early 70's. The only FM station on the dial was an elevator music station out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I'm from Upper Michigan, after the sun went down we were WCFL fans back in the late 60's early 70's. The only FM station on the dial was an elevator music station out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.

Re: WCFL
On March 15, 1976, after two years of falling ratings, WCFL abruptly dropped its Top 40 format in favor of The World's Most Beautiful Music, leaving WLS once again as Chicago's only AM Top 40 station

I remember knowing about WCFL, and I started listening to the radio around 1975, but no wonder I wasn't listening to WCFL in those days.

"Beautiful Music"? Easy listening wasn't really my thing. :gig

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
Re: WCFL

I remember knowing about WCFL, and I started listening to the radio around 1975, but no wonder I wasn't listening to WCFL in those days.

"Beautiful Music"? Easy listening wasn't really my thing. :gig

LOL, cfl was an AM station. It was Top 40.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
LOL, cfl was an AM station. It was Top 40.

Oh yeah, the article pointed that out, but also that they went away from Top 40 in early 1976.

Hell, I listened to WMAQ (country) in those days too. '70's and earlier country wasn't too bad. It's that countrified pop garbage they make now I don't like.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this cool live video from Winterland in 1976. Good performance and pretty good sound for the time.

Easily one of my favorite Styx tracks --- Suite Madam Blue

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online