Stiff Little Fingers (Official Thread)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Now here's the perfect Irish revolutionary band:):)
YouTube - Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

stifflittlefingers.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-01-23

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Thought I would add a little...

300px-Stiff_Little_Fingers.jpg

Stiff Little Fingers were formed in 1977 in Belfast, Ireland and were at the forefront of the punk movement.

Originally they were called Highway Star (yes, named after the Deep Purple song), doing rock covers. They originally made four albums over a six year period and are still touring today despite splitting up, Jake Burns is the only original member.

Current Band Members:

Jake Burns – Vocals, guitar
Ian McCallum – guitar, Vocals
Ali McMordie – bass guitar, Vocals
Steve Grantley – drums, Vocals

Studio Albums:

Inflammable Material, 1979
Nobody's Heroes, 1980
Go for It, 1981
Now Then..., 1982
Flags and Emblems, 1991
Get a Life, 1994
Tinderbox, 1997
Hope Street, 1999
Guitar and Drum, 2004

Suspect Device

E-Z

Reaction score
There 1st & 2nd albums are punk albums but from the 3rd album onwards Jake Burns tried to 'broaden there sound' which he has continued to do with subsequent albums.

Maybe i am being over critical but to my ears all there subsequent albums basically sound the same more so then many other bands, it could be because it's always 2 guitars, bass & drums with Jakes vocal which is simular to many other bands but for some reason with this band it makes every song sound like every other song?.

Still at a time when there wasn't much going on in Nothern Ireland back in 1977 other then killing and murder SLF were a very important band.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I would definately rate SLFs debut as one of the greatest 70s punk albums of all time :grinthumb
As with lots of the punk bands of that era their style changed with later albums. I think what makes "Inflammable material" so special was the rawness of the guitars and Jake Burns passionate, raspy vocal style [ like he had a permanent sore throat :D ] . Oh yes the songs/lyrics were pretty strong too
I did see SLF "live" many years ago at Rock City Nottingham and they were reasonably good but did not play in the style of the 1st album. Burns vocals a lot softer.
Amazing to hear that Bruce Foxton[ ex The Jam ] spent 15 years with the band.......wheres time gone

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
I certainly like their first album.Ive not heard much after that to be honest

E-Z

Reaction score
The Bruce Foxton connection with SLF is an interesting one, yeah Bruce spent 15 years with the band which is a very long time for a 'named' musician in his own right.

I bought a SLF album/cd which had a person with a 'vegatable head' on the front i have forgotten the name of it anyway i put it on the cd player and (i think?) it kicked off with a trumpet or something!!.

I immediately stopped the cd took it out the cd player and threw it out the window!!!!!!!. :wank:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.