Defector (1980)
Cured (1981)
Highly Strung (1982)
Bay of Kings (1983)
Till We Have Faces (1984)
Momentum (1988)
Guitar Noir (1993)
Blues With A Feeling (1994)
Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited (1996)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1997)
Darktown (1999)
Sketches of Satie (2000) (with John Hackett)
Feedback 86 (2000)
To Watch the Storms (2003)
Metamorpheus (2005)
Wild Orchids (2006)
Tribute (2008)
Out of the Tunnel's Mouth (2009)
Beyond the Shrouded Horizon (2011)
A Life Within A Day (2012) (with Chris Squire)
Genesis Revisited II (2012)[25]

Steve hackett is without a doubt, one of the finest and underrated musicians working today. Out of all the old guard of progressive rock, the man is still putting together challenging adventurous music while most of his peers have either stopped making music, or are only interested in riding the nostalgia wave.
Within the band Genesis, he was highly underrated, undervalued and underused, yet he seemed to make the most of whatever space he can get. The guitar solo in Firth of Fifth' is no doubt his crowning achievement within the band. It is still one of the best and one of the more spine tingling solos these ears have ever heard.
There are many other hackett moments in Genesis that are spectacular to be sure, but I could be here all night writing about them. His strongest point is his guitar sound. it can be alternately calm and soothing, while at other times, the qualities can be dreamy, ghostly, frightening and downright disturbing. The man is not known for fast soloing, although he can hold his own. Hackett`s forte is the atmosphere he conjures up with his guitar sound.
Whe hackett left Genesis in 1977 , he already had a solo album under his belt(Voyage of the Acolyte-1975), whcih took many critics and genesis fans by surprise at the time.. After tasting that particular freedom and feeling that his contributions were never going to be utilized as much as the others, he went for broke, carving out his own distinct direction. Genesis without him would go on to be a spectaculr pop/rock band during the 80`s, but much of the sense of adventure and exploration the band had with Hackett was gone.
Hackett`s finest moment is 'Spectral Mornings'-1979, a progressive masterwork if there ever was one , filled with great instrumentals and english comedic whimsy. Over the years, he has constantly changed directions, whether it`s acoustic albums such as bay of kings , a blues rock album , `Blues witha feeling, allying himslef with Steve Howe in the AOR group GTR, working with orchestras or revisiting Genesis masterworks
I do have his latest work ,`Out of The Tunnel`s mouth(2009). I haven`t listend to it all the way through yet , but it it is definitely shaping up to be one of his better releases. A review will ensue in the near future.
A great place to start for the unitiated would be the album 'Spectral Mornings', although' Live archive 70`s 80`s ,90`s' is a better way to absorb the styling of Mr. hackett, if you don`t mind spending a little more extra money.

Stout

Reaction score
Re: Steve Hackett

The above is from Hackett`s time with Genesis.

His best guitar solo..

And his best instrumental, IMO..

Last edited by a moderator:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

that's stout I'm seeing Hackett this summer and am looking to purchase some solo Hackett stuff. I only have "Voyage of the Acolyte" which I love. I guess I'll have to purchase 'Spectral Mornings' and maybe the new one.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I listened to his first solo album so long ago I honestly can't remember any of the songs Stout...:think:

I will see if I can get a copy of the CD you recommended "Spectral Mornings".

Stout

Reaction score

that's stout I'm seeing Hackett this summer and am looking to purchase some solo Hackett stuff. I only have "Voyage of the Acolyte" which I love. I guess I'll have to purchase 'Spectral Mornings' and maybe the new one.
England has the best bands , there is no doubt in my mind about that. If I could afford to get over to England to see Hackett, I certainly would, because it`s unlikely he`ll tour America anytime soon. I`m envious of you. Enjoy!!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, John Paul Jones play Darktown at Guitar Wars Concert.

:oy:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I only saw Steve Hackett in concert one time, back in about '86 or so with GTR. That was actually a pretty cool concert. The opening acts were as follows:

1) Steve Howe
2) Steve Hacket
3) GTR

Howe played for about a half hour, by himself if I remember correctly, mostly acoustic stuff, then Hackett did the same before they both came out and played with GTR on the whole. Very fun

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

My opinions of Hackett are obvious, although he is the only major member of Genesis I don't have any solo songs of. This will have to change soon it seems! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

England has the best bands , there is no doubt in my mind about that. If I could afford to get over to England to see Hackett, I certainly would, because it`s unlikely he`ll tour America anytime soon. I`m envious of you. Enjoy!!!

I would agree in the 60's and early 70's with your statement Stout, but I feel music has really blossomed since those decades. The jolt that the British Invasion had on contemporary music is visible all over the world, almost every rock 'n roll band sings in English no matter where they are from.

Plus right now as I write this, there are more bands making music I enjoy on the Continent, than in England, one of the reasons I am involved in a music forum is because of the quality of music they are making.:tup:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Ah but he is playing America this summer. :D
he is playing NEARfest09 on friday alumni night June 18th @ Zoellner Arts Center, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA. The opening act is Riverside-a polish prog band that is one of my favorite bands of 00's. If you don't know about NEARfest its a prog/artrock festival that has been going on since 99. SInce its Friday night you can buy just a Friday night ticket when they go on sale in April. If you can't make that I'm quessing that Hackett will add a NYC show around the same time, he did it last time he played NEARfest in 2002.

Lord Grendel yeah the British influence is now felt around the world. There is so much great music being turned out in so many countries. It's a shame that most people don't hear it because the mass radio stations and press only talk about the pop crap. I agree that's why I come to message boards because they help me discover stuff I never hear about. I wish I had a place to go in the early and mid 90's. I can't believe all the great British and American stuff I discover in the late 90's because of these types of sites.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online