Steeleye Span (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Steeleye Span

There is another one out now with their 2nd set of five albums, will wait for it to come down in price first...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That must cover most of their discography then Sweaty. I'll have to put them in rotation one of these days.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Yeah all the great stuff, they are still making albums and touring but their best stuff is their best.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I am assuming you mean their "Early" records are their best Sweaty...;)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

Due to Steeleye Span's link with Mike Batt who produced some of their output, they actually appeared on Top Of The Pops here in the UK dressed as the Wombles to mime to one of the Wombles' "hit" songs.

Imagine the surreal sight of the audience "dancing" to Gaudette on the same programme with Span dressed as monks.

The price of fame :oyea:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

...Wombles Jeffrey...??

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

...Wombles Jeffrey...??
One of the more embarrassing elements of UK "culture" :lmao:

From wikipedia

The Wombles are fictional pointy-nosed, furry creatures that live in burrows, where they help the environment by collecting and recycling rubbish in useful and ingenious ways. Wombles were created by author Elisabeth Beresford, originally appearing in a series of children's novels from 1968. Although Wombles supposedly live in every country in the world, the stories are concerned with the life of the inhabitants of the burrow on Wimbledon Common in London, England.

The characters became nationally famous in the UK in the mid 1970s as a result of a very popular BBC children's television show using stop motion animation. A number of spin-off novelty songs also became major hits in the British music charts.

They "sung" a couple of hit singles but they were session players lead by Mike Batt who produced some of Steeleye Spans work.

Wombles.gif

My apologies for inflicting this on you all :bonk:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^:lmao:

I now have all the information about "Wombles" I will ever need, thanks Jeffrey.:cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online