4023508563_b8808659d7.jpg

Date of Release: 2009 Label: Universal Length: 44:27

Personnel:
• Michael Starr - Lead/Backing Vocals
• Satchel - Lead/Rhythm/Acoustic Guitars; Backing Vocals
• Lexxi Foxxx - Bass Guitars; Backing Vocals
• Stix Zadinia - Drums; Backing Vocals
With:
• Justin Hawkins {Hot Leg} - Co-Lead Vocals (Track 7)
• M. Shadows {Avenged Sevenfold} - Co-Lead Vocals (Track 8)
• Allison Robertson {The Donnas} - Lead Guitars (Track 7)
• Scott Ian {Anthrax} - Rhythm Guitars (Track 2)
• Corey Taylor {Slipknot}- Backing Vocals (Tracks 1,2 and 4)
• Matt Nelson {Nelson band } - Backing Vocals (Tracks 4,5,6 and 10)
• Brett Anderson {The Donnas}- Backing Vocals (Track 4)
• Joe Lester {Silversun Pickups}- Backing Vocals (Tracks 3,5,6 and 10)
• Rene Ruston - Female Voice (Track 6)
• Michael Lord - Orchestration (Track 3)

:tl:

1. "Death to All But Metal" (feat. Corey Taylor)-2:30
2. "Asian Hooker" (feat. Corey Taylor & Scott Ian)-4:02
3. "Community Property" -3:39
4. "Eyes Of A Panther" (feat. Corey Taylor)-3:37
5. "Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)" -4:38
6. "Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'" -3:50
7. "Party All Day (**** All Night)" (feat. Justin Hawkins) -3:03
8. "Turn Out the Lights" (feat. M. Shadows) -4:24
9. "Stripper Girl" -3:35
10. "The Shocker" -4:10
11. "Girl From Oklahoma" -3:57 (Steel Panther/Dean Cameron)
12. "Hell's On Fire" -3:02

Steel Panther isn’t a new band, they have been around since 2000. "Feel the Steel" is the second studio release from the band and the first release on a major label. The band isn’t your typical 80’s hair metal band, but a parody of all things that glam from the 80’s and 90’s. They have a fantastic image, from the skin tight spandex pants, hairsprayed big hair, to the make-up and stage antics that made the glam bands so fun.

Steel Panther takes a huge comical stab at the glam and hair metal of the 80’s/90’s with borrowed riffs, over exaggerated personas, and blatantly in-your-face raunchy cliché lyrics. Is this band silly? Of course, but also brilliant at the same time. The music has some catchy riffs and Satchel delivers his fair share of original chops and his solos are superb, which makes the songs worth listening to. Satchel’s acoustic work on the ballads are completely original and expertly perfomed. The vocals of Starr are very powerful and soar in the ballads on "Feel the Steel", his vocal ability is what makes this band shine. Starr can hit the highs and the lows, dish out the grit and the gravel, and yet be as smooth as glass. The music is the strong point of the album, the music is full of energy and fun to listen to.

The biggest flaw in the album are the lyrics. Although, meant to be a parody of all the cliché lyrics of glam metal, the lyrics on "Feel the Steel" are downright raunchy, brash, and foul . The lyrics take the hilarity of the cliché too far, IMO. The lyrics are extremely juvenile with some pretty intense shock value. Some would call this brilliant, I just call it mildly funny with a touch of brilliance that completely lacks class. Is it a move of genius? It just could be. Parody in music is nothing new, glam metal is nothing new, foul lyrics are nothing new, but when you couple them together, and package them as Steel Panther then it comes across shockingly brilliant. If a listener can get past the shock value of the lyrics, then the humor does shine through. Oh! And don’t forget, the music is fantastic.

If you dare to take a listen, the links are below, but I caution you, the lyrics are intended for mature audiences:

:uc:

Death to all but Metal

Asian Hooker

Community Property

Eyes of a Panther

Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)

Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'

Party All Day

Turn Out the Lights

Stripper Girl

The Shocker

Girl From Oklahoma

Hell's On Fire

My rating for listening pleasure 3.5/5.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: Steel Panther ~ Feel the Steel (2009)

Magic.. I'm glad you did the review.. Good job :grinthumb
I'm digging into it now and enjoying every hair metal moment I'm hearing!!!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

It is pretty raunchy, Slip'n, but fun too. The song that made me chuckle, well :blush: laugh was Community property. And I was agasp on the song Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'.....:bonk: I think guys will appreciate this album a whole lot more than us chicks :)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Ya Magic.. Community Property could be a problem for girls who like their man monogamous.. But were talking Rock Stars here..:heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank you, Trickster. The album definitely is worth getting. Just dont let your kids get a hold of it :os:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I've got a confession! This band is the only band I've reviewed without owning the c.d. yet. My friend told me about them, I looked them up and remembered that they were familiar and then I remembered who they were. I had seen the Metal School vids a long time ago and thought it was cool that band would put out a c.d. I made the thread because I knew people would get a kick out of it! After this review knowing that Magic thinks the whole c.d. is legit I'm definitely buying it! :grinthumb

T_Dude

Reaction score

Party All Day with Justin Hawkins is brilliant!

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

Very suprising the singer of Slipknot is helping out with vocals...very cool though.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online