Review Status Quo - Aquostic (2014)

album review

darrenj

Reaction score
Status Quo are a band that stopped worrying about critical acclaim and musical credibility long, long ago. After the band’s 70s/early 80s peak we’ve seen cringe-worthy covers albums, sing-along football songs, bizarre collaborations with the Beach Boys; in fact you name it, they’ve tried it. Even the well-received reunion of their classic 70s line-up last year was immediately followed by a completely unfunny mafia comedy film set on a tropical island.

So the idea of a Status Quo acoustic album could be dismissed as yet the latest undignified attempt in a long line of pointless gimmicks. Except that… it is actually rather good. Presented here are twenty-four newly-recorded Quo tracks from various stages of their career. Thankfully the post 1983 material is kept to just three songs and even the last one of those “Rock ‘til You Drop” is very nicely done. But more than simply strumming along to some old hits, the band take the trouble to create completely reworked arrangements. The acoustic guitars and harmonica are complimented by a range of other instruments, including mandolin, accordion, viola, cello and violins. Joining the modern era line-up of Status Quo (Francis Rossi, Rick Parfitt, Andrew Brown, John Edwards and new-boy Leon Cave) are a talented bunch of guest musicians.

It’s still unmistakably Status Quo but the light and breezy arrangements and sensitive vocals show off the quality of the songwriting and bring out new depths to often familiar songs. A beautifully laid-back version of early 80s hit “Rock ‘n’ Roll” is a particular highlight and there are some lovely reworkings of earlier material like “Reason for Living”, now re-imagined as a folk-rock rock classic. Rain is given a makeover as a countrified acoustic blues and a classically-infused Mystery Song, with exquisitely catchy string accompaniment, is another highlight.

If you set aside the awful puns in the title, the truly embarrassing front cover, the crass advert for Status Quo beer (?) tucked inside the CD case and the long-trashed branding of this once great band, this is a creditable album that deserves a serious listen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See my music blog here for live reviews: Darren's music blog | Live reviews. From classic rock to contemporary folk.

nwobhm

Reaction score
we had it over here in uk on the bbc red button service

I was doubtful at first but it grew on me and although different I will own up to quite liking it

quite liked the intro by rossi, we have some extras on the stage, some guy playing an air thing, extra guitarist and 2 bits of eye candy

strings and accordion really stand out and vocals still good

would I buy it .. probably eventually :grinthumb

Marbles

Reaction score
I was at the recording of the Radio 2/Red Button gig at the Roundhouse. The additional guitarist was Freddie Edwards, son of bass player John (aka Rhino).

In general I think it's an interesting and well executed album. However, I do think that there are two or three songs that don't work in their stripped down state (I'm not keen on the Blue For You tracks). Similarly, I felt that there are a few others that would have worked well in acoustic form - the title track from Blue For You, just as an example - or Lonely Man, which was fairly acoustic heavy to start with.

I must admit that I did watch the gig on Red Button about four times though!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online