Administrator
Reaction score
Band: Status Quo
Album: 12 Gold Bars, vol. 1
Genre: Rock/Boogie Rock
Released: 1980 by Vertigo Records

6002-status-quo-%7E-12-gold-bars.jpg

Personnel:

Rick Parfitt (vocals, rhythm guitar, keyboards)
Francis Rossi (lead vocals, lead guitar)
Alan Lancaster (vocals, bass guitar)
John Coghlan (drums).

:tl:

1. Rockin' All Over the World (Fogerty) - 3:58
2. Down Down (Rossi/Young) - 4:15
3. Caroline (Rossi/Young) - 4:08
4. Paper Plane (Rossi/Young) - 3:16
5. Break the Rules (Rossi/Young/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan) - 4:03
6. Again and Again (Parfitt/Bown/Lynton) - 4:04
7. Mystery Song (Parfitt/Young) - 4:24
8. Roll Over Lay Down (Rossi/Young/Lancaster/Parfitt/Coghlan) - 6:17
9. Rain (Parfitt) - 5:03
10. Wild Side of Life (Warren/Carter) - 3:36
11. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown) - 4:28
12. Living On An Island (Parfitt/Young) - 4:15

The Album

12 Gold Bars is a shuffle of the band’s top hits from 1972-1979. This compilation covers hits off of 8 albums and leads off with the band’s anthem “Rockin’ All Over The World”. The Quo has been around since the 60’s (making them one of Britain’s longest lived rock bands) and has filled the fans ears with nothing but pure boogie ever since the 70’s. In the 60’s, Status Quo’s sound was psychedelic, but after a change of sound to a 3 chord boogie, Status Quo became one of the biggest boogie and blues rock bands with more charting hits than any other band in rock history. If you are like me, and not familiar with Status Quo in the 70’s, then this is the perfect album to get started with. The songs all have the same band line-up and have proven to be some of the best boogie of the 70’s. Once you get a taste of Quo’s boogie, you will be hooked.

The Music

”Rockin’ All Over the World” ~ This song is the band’s anthem and the title track off the “Rocking All Over the World” album. Probably the most popular song by Status Quo and has been covered by many other artists like Bruce Springsteen, The Beach Boys, and Bon Jovi. The song is simple, breezy, and fun. It is easy to sing along to and one of those songs that makes you tap your foot.

”Down Down” ~ A high energy song. Definitely a song to get you up and doing the boogie. This song is off the “On the Level” album. The song lyrics are extremely repetitive and make no sense, but they don’t have to, the “D..DD down down” is so catchy you don’t even notice that it makes no sense.

”Caroline” ~ Take my hand, together we can rock n’ roll……..what a great lyric line! This song appears on the “Hello!” album, and it definitely has one of the greatest boogie riffs. Caroline is a gem, and my pick of their hits.

”Paper Plane” ~ This song is off the “Piledriver” album. The intro is original and gets repeated throughout the song. It has a bit heavier droning sound than the other hits. The song is a high energy song, which might bring back memories of dancing the shoulder bop. This song’s lyrics were written by the band’s road manager, who co-wrote several of Quo’s hits. A good Tune 

”Break the Rules” ~ This song is off the “Quo” album. A honky-tonk song with a good boogie-blues beat. The solo’s go from an electric guitar solo to a piano solo then a harmonica solo, quite impressive! The lyrical story is very cute about breaking the barroom rules.

”Again and Again” ~ This song is off the “If You Can’t Stand the Heat” album. What an awesome beat. The song is very repetitive as far the lyrics go, but the music makes you move . At this point I am definitely seeing the constant use of the 3 chord progression in their songs, not that this is bad, but it does begin to lose it’s “wow”.

”Mystery Song” ~ This song is off the “Blue for You” album. The heat is turned up a notch on the boogie but I can’t help but think this song is a bit bland. The song jams mid-song which adds a redeeming quality.

”Roll Over Lay Down” ~ This song is off the “Hello!” album. Finally some variation to the music on this album. This song is a excellent boogie-blues song with some neat breaks and chops. I enjoyed the guitar solo.

”Rain” ~ This song is off the “Blue For You” album. I really like the way they sing “I can’t live without the Rahain”…..it adds interest to the song. The boogie on this song is fabulous and the solo is another jam session. Another good tune!

”Wild Side of Life” ~ This song was a single back in 1976 and appears on the 2005 re-issue of the “Blue For You” album. What can I say about this song other than it is a good boogie, honky-tonk jam.

”Whatever You Want” ~ This song is the title track off the “Whatever You Want” album. The intro to this song is beautiful with a fantastic build-up to the overall song. The song has a few neat twists to the music flow and a pretty decent mini –jam mid song. A neat song.

”Living On An Island”~This song is off the “Whatever You Want” album. A great acoustic song. The vocal harmonies on this song set it apart from the other songs. This is the only song on the album that isn’t a boogie tune, this is a more psychedelic song. Great closer for the album.

Overall, this compilation is fantastic. It puts together 12 of the greatest hits of Status Quo from the 70’s in a shuffle order. The album isn’t boring, but the music can get repetitive with the same 3 chords over and over, but I didn’t seem to mind.

My rating for listening pleasure 3/5.

snowblue

Reaction score
Re: Status Quo ~ 12 Gold Bars (1980)

Nice review, Magic! :grinthumb

I haven't heard this compilation but I do know all the songs on it.

I really enjoy Quo. If I'm looking for something happy and not too deep - just something to cheer me up without thinking too much, Status Quo fit the bill perfectly! :)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Yes, Status Quo is light and simple music. Just some good ole boogie to make you feel good :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Very good review. Like the part where you said the songs make you move, its so true.
I like music that does that.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Sox got me interested in SQ a few months ago, and I now have quite a few of their albums but I don't have this compilation.

Still I see Magic has not lost her touch when it comes to her quill and ink well writing reviews.:tup:

SuperStock_1538R-60170.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Thank you, LG. :) I know how you have such a backlog of music to listen to, but have you given any of SQ's music a spin? I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how simplistic it is and quite fun

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is one of the better compilation albums, Im not normally a big fan of compilation albums but this one is a gem, compiled the best known songs.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Thank you, LG. :) I know how you have such a backlog of music to listen to, but have you given any of SQ's music a spin? I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how simplistic it is and quite fun

I've known SQ for a long time, but hadn't played any of their albums for ages, but I did write a thread for them in the 70's sections months ago, and played the CD's I do have.

I was amazed at their staying power, in England at least they were like the energizer bunny, kept going and going and going....hit after hit.

You are right about the backlog, it would take well over a year to get through everything now and give it the time to soak in.

I need one of these baby's...:grinthumb

Time%20Machine.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Great read Magic .. I remember a good friend of mine getting hold of this in the early 80's, it has a really solid compilation of tracks. Probably the best way for anyone unfamiliar with Quo and wanting to try them out would be to get their hands on this one. I think it's by far their best comp album.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online