Register to remove these ads

Star Wars! (Movies, Jedi, Lightsabers, and more)

Discussion in 'Movies / Television' started by Prime, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

Time for a fresh topic on one of the best movie series that I know of. Star Wars. This thread is going to deal with a lot of things, movie reviews, videos, and everything. Let's get our nerds out and talk about stuff. You know you want to.

I'm also thinking about giving a review for each of the 6 movies. Mainly for two reasons. One, I am a HUGE star wars fan, easily one of my all time favorite movie series, and two, I love writing reviews about things I like.

Feel free to chime in anytime with scenes, actors, and such forth about Star Wars, I know you all secretly love this series, now is the time to let all those secrets out into the forum world.

Without further ado, here is the opening post :)

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. rollingstoned

rollingstoned Queens of the Stone Age

Good thread idea Rob!

I used to play Starwars Battlefront 1 & 2 for Xbox. My little brother is into the Xbox 360 Starwars Lego series now.

3. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I'm thinking i'll get the first review out of the way, before I lose the fresh memory.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    [​IMG]

I'd be lying to you if I said this was my favorite star wars movie. Unfortunately that first statement is true, I don't like the first one for a variety of reasons. There are certain things I would have expected from a movie just by hearing the title "The Phantom Menace", but that wasn't exactly the case. I can understand that a first movie is supposed to set the story up for the rest of the movies following afterwards, but they could have at least made it a bit more entertaining to watch. If I remember correctly, there was only one or two lightsaber fights out of the whole movie, which in my opinion, isn't exactly a good thing, especially with a movie that bases itself around lightsaber fights, jedi vs sith, etc. Though, not everything about this movie is bad, I want to keep this as positive as possible, so i'll stick with the positives. One big positive that I really quite enjoyed about this movie is the characters. Darth Maul, Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan Kenobi, etc. All fantastic name choices I may add. They definitely knew what they were doing when they wanted to make this movie series in general..."unique".

Another big positive about this movie and the movies in general is when I first saw, scratch that...HEARD about Star Wars, people were talking about the force, and force powers and all that jazz, and I had no idea what they were talking about. The minute I saw this movie, I had an urge to figure out how to learn the ways of the force (call me crazy, but I actually did look it up and everything), I wanted to be a jedi so bad, I even went out and bought two plastic lightsabers to practice with (I still have them to this day). The force is amazing to me in so many ways. The ability to pick things up with your mind, the ability to create power with just a bit of concentration. I don't really understand it fully, but something about that truly amazes the hell out of me, and it continues to do that to this day.

This movie in general may not have been the best star wars movie, but I suppose I can appreciate the fact that it was a good starting point to lead into the 2nd and 3rd movies, and having the 3rd movie move into the previously made 4th 5th and 6th movies. I will talk about those in their own reviews.

My rating on this movie would probably be a 3 star out of 5.

4. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I'm a huge fan of the Knights of the Old Republic games.

5. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

Nice thread and love the opening! Will be fun reading! Big fan of the "trilogy" here!! :grinthumb

6. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

Ive got the video in the OP on autoplay now. :)

7. rollingstoned

rollingstoned Queens of the Stone Age

Just noticed that after it scared the shit out of me with my speakers set to loud. Least it's not going to be on page 2. :oyea:

8. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

Haha, even as I reply, it still plays. But nah, only on the first post. And if I want to, i'll just turn off the autoplay.

9. Canadian Air Force

Canadian Air Force Senior Member

I hate to be that guy, but looking back on the prequel trilogy I didn't like the movies.

Loved them when I was a kid, the only one I can watch now in a sitting is Revenge of the Sith. Hayden Christensen was terrible as Anakin but I blame George Lucas's direction and writing more. Anakin was supposed to be portrayed as a sympathetic character that turned bad, but he came off as a punk throughout the 2nd and 3rd movies and his turn to the dark side was like a really bad Russo swerve, not very convincing.

But to each their own.

If you still like the prequel trilogies then I suggest you stay away from Plinkett's reviews of the Prequel trilogy. They're really long (like watching a mini movie), but he explains in great detail what went wrong.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

/rant

The original trilogy is boss though. I'm still waiting for a massive box set, I still haven't updated my old VHS collection:

[​IMG]

Empire Strikes Back is my favorite. The darkest movie in the trilogy.

10. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I want to eventually get a VHS box set, because you never know when they'll stop being available. I do however have each movie on DVD in high definition format. I've also got the alternative ending for Return of the Jedi. If you haven't seen the alternate ending, it's not amazingly special, but it's still pretty interesting. As for my favorite, I have to go with Empire Strikes Back as well, I feel like it was the best directed, and everything in it was done so well.