Stairway to Heaven: Mary J. Blige, Steve Vai, Orianthi, Travis Barker

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Well.. Mary put the gospel soul to it.. Travis beat the chit out of the drums.. Vai.. embarrassed himself.. And I think if I'm right Randy Jackson was on Bass and he had to look down to play.. Orianthi personalized the solo.. The piano player needs to give Phil Collins back his hat.. Other than that, what can you expect for something heard on American Idol.. :peek

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed.. Even Plant said he was honored that they did such a good job at covers of Zepp songs.. Russell can sound just like him..

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
"Stairway To Heaven" is a song that should never be covered....except by Great White.

Exactly, one of the only bands that knows how to cover Zeppelin correctly. :bow:

I remember hearing the Vai/Blige/et-all version a couple of years back and it doesn't impress me. Vai is great as always, but Blige is the wrong person to be singing that song. Thankfully it was her though and not some two-bit hack like say... Macy Gray :wtf:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'm glad someone is on the same page as I am on this one. I always look to this as a "What Not To Do" when covering a rock song. Thinking you can pair R&B vocals with rockers and it will always turn out fine is dead wrong. This just didn't work for me and I was called a rock snob for not liking it by those I watched it with. They all loved it for some reason but they like music like this in the first place and don't realize the significance of this song and how hard it is to pull off a decent cover.

That being said, Mary J. was also a guest performer on X Factor the other night and she was awful that night too and her lyrics and music are forgettable at best. No wonder she felt the need to borrow Stairway. :rolleyes:

I love your responses TC. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Edit: I have to add that I too like TC's "unfiltered" responses [grin].

I always enjoy TC's honest comments but when they are a little too colorful then I will edit them Before I get complaints,,,and I always leave my tag when I do that.

We do have a few younger members here so we try to stay as civil as possible.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^Yes, it was "colorful" to put it an acceptable form. It did have the "wow" factor...but in a different sense. Agreed Bruce that it might not be suitable for the younger set.

On topic, I know Blige covered "Whole Lotta Love" too or at least I believe she did.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding the studio version of this cover just to see if it might sound a little better, though I doubt it.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^Yes, it was "colorful" to put it an acceptable form. It did have the "wow" factor...but in a different sense. Agreed Bruce that it might not be suitable for the younger set.

On topic, I know Blige covered "Whole Lotta Love" too or at least I believe she did.

I went looking for that Blige version but found this instead..:oyea: I'm laughing because I do stuff like this on my turntables but this is actually fun..
I could see it being played at dance clubs..

Prince 's version is a bit comical and good at the same time.. Funny because of the way he sings it..Good cause it has a nice jam to it..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online