Springsteen songs that others made hits

Fever

Reaction score
I was listening to an old American Top 40 today and Casey Kasem listed 5 Bruce Springsteen songs that other artists made into hits.
Blinded By The Light

Spirits In The Night

Because The Night

Light Of Day

Pink Cadillac

I like the cover version's best in all but Pink Cadillac.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band also covered For You ,but it didn't make the top 40

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
This probably doesn't qualify as a "hit", but in Central Texas, the Mavericks made some coin off of All Heaven Will Allow.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Wasn't the song "Fire" a Springsteen song covered by The Pointer Sisters?

That popped into my mind right off JTR...I like the Pointer Sisters cover better than the original.

I also think Manfred Mann's reworking of "Blinded by the Light" and "For You" are better than the Boss's.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Manfred Mann's Earth Band's version of For You is produced by Trevor Rabin and he also plays lead guitar. Bruce Springsteen's versions of Blinded, Spirits and For You have a folk-y feel to them, whereas Manfred Mann turned them into hard rock. Manfred Mann had covered a number of Bob Dylan songs and, like everyone else, saw Bruce as his successor.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood covered Born to Run on Welcome to the Pleasure Dome, produced by Trevor Horn - possibly with Trevor Rabin again on guitar.

Roger Daltrey also covered Born to Run. Although he's a great singer with The Who (as on Love Reign O'er Me), I prefer Bruce's original.

There is a website dedicated to Bruce Springsteen covers. A link is posted in the official thread.

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
Don't have a song to share but a story. Hungry Heart was originally written for The Ramones, but they didn't take it :uh: I think Joey would sound wonderful belting out the lyrics :D

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
A Johnny Cash style tune that he did better than Cash could have done,
Cash did a good job but Tell me where Springsteen got the influence for the tune:grinthumb
I'm On Fire-Johnny Cash

Bruce Springsteen-Im on fire

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online