Split Enz (Official Thread)

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Wow! I'm saddened to see no thread for this wonderful band. Split Enz are an intriguing band that have changed their image and musical style numerous times over their decade long span. They are probably the only somewhat known band to come out of their homeland of New Zealand, besides Crowded House (but I'll be getting to them in a minute.)

splitenz73.jpg

Split Enz was formed in 1971 on the campus of The University of Auckland with Tim Finn and Phil Judd as the groups' core members.

After numerous line up changes and a few singles under their belt, Split Enz released their debut album Mental Notes in 1975. During this phase of their career, the band fused progressive rock with a sort of vaudeville sensibility (or music-hall, if you want to be Colonial about it) and have been compared to the likes of early Genesis with a slightly "poppier" sound.

Around this time, the band were also known for their theatrical live performances, complete with kabuki-style makeup, colorful clothing -- designed by percussionist and "art director" Noel Crombie -- and eccentric hairstyles (the additional comparisons to Gabriel-era Genesis are pretty much unavoidable).

splitenz.jpg

By 1977, the stress of touring and being away from his family finally got to Phil Judd. During a concert, Judd had trouble with an out of tune guitar and stormed off the stage. After a heated confrontation between Finn and Judd, blows were exchanged and Judd left the group. At the advice of former band mate Mike Chunn, Tim recruited his little brother Neil into the band.

It was a transitional period for Split Enz. The band had received negative press from the UK for their musical style. Punk was in the mainstream in the UK and the new school musical critics loathed the "dinosaur style," sounds of Progressive Rock. With Neil taking much of the burden of songwriting off of Tim's shoulders, the band's style began to evolve, becoming more accessible while still remaining "arty." As punk began to give way to the New Wave, the Enz finally began to reach a wide audience.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Re: The Official Split Enz Thread

lit%2BEnz%2B-%2BTrue%2BColours%2B-%2BAlbum%2Bcover.jpg

By the end of the 70s, Split Enz had two more albums under their belt with Dizzrhythmia and Frenzy, both of which were successful in Australia and New Zealand. In 1980, the band went in to the studio to record what would be their breakthrough hit album, True Colours.

Neil's haunting yet poppy song "I Got You," would not only be the first single of theirs to reach #1 in Australia but also found a spot on the charts in both Canada, the UK (reaching #12) and the US (reaching #53). The album would be their first and only album to crack the US top 40.

In 1981, Split Enz further achieved commercial success with the release of Waiata. The group also received significant airplay on American television, as their videos for Waiata singles "History Never Repeats" and "One Step Ahead" were among the first videos to be aired on MTV when it first launched on August 31st 1981 (the clip for previous hit "I Got You" following shortly afterward).

In 1982, the band released Time and Tide. One of the singles off the album, Six Months in a Leaky Boat endured some controversy with accusations made that the song was an attack on Britain for acting out against the Argentines invasion of the Falkland Islands; a claim in which the band vehemently denies.

During the band's break, Tim would go on to record his first solo album Escapade, which would spawn several big hits in Australia. Split Enz would soon return to the studio in 1983 to record Conflicting Emotions. With Tim's focus being on the success of his solo album, he left most of the writing up to his brother Neil. The album was a commercial failure in Australia after the their three previous albums had gone #1. Unhappy with his contribution to the band, Tim officially announced his departure from Split Enz in 1984.

With his brother and last remaining original member gone, Neil took full reign and Split Enz would record their final album See Ya Around at the end of 1984. Just like the preceding album, See Ya Around resulted in commercial failure and was only released in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

After Split Enz broke up, each member went on to other projects. Phil Judd would go on to form The Swingers and Neil Finn started up what would be his most commercial project to date, Crowded House. I highly believe that Neil's success in Crowded House would never have surfaced if it wasn't for his humble beginnings in Split Enz.

Over the past two decades, members of Split Enz including the Finn brothers would briefly reunite for concerts.

This is a band that I have cherished since early childhood and I think it's time that they got the recognition they long deserved and what better way of doing that then to introduce them to this forum. :)

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score

"I Got You" and "6 Months" were played a TON in the early 80's on my local station. Good songs. I saw what looked to be a fairly recent Crowded House concert about a year ago on TV, and I was surprised how good they were live. Neil's voice is in great shape.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

New Zealand had plenty of musical talent in the 80's! Like Dave Dobbyn! :D

Okay maybe not...

I do like some Split Enz though, and I'm a big sucker for the singles. I Got You is fantastic and so is this number:

Good thread LB :grinthumb

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Excellent write up about a very underated 80s pop band and good to see people on CRF showing them some admiration.
I must admit when SPLIT ENZ 1st appeared on the scene[ from the UK perspective] no one quite new where they were coming from with their wierd hairstyles /make up etc. Gabriel connections ? Thats a new one on me...I never thought of that . SPLIT ENZ had the Avant garde image...but not a avant garde sound . Perhaps the image was to stifle the bands success for a while.
Then came the excellent "I got you "single ,which was a hit over here . A fine record that for some reason reminded me of DEVO . Its a song that DEVO should have done ! :grinthumb
I also have a copy of "6 months in a leaky boat" a very underated single which deserved better. :cheers2

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

^^^^ My husband only made the Gabriel comparison when I was doing this write up. It hadn't occurred to us until then.

"I Got You" was the song that introduced me to the band thanks to my dad taping their video during the golden years of MTV.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I still have my vinyl copy of that one LadyB.

And nice to see you writing a band thread, hopefully you have some more to follow.:hab: (I would rather see our members new and old write threads than the staff do all of them, that is why there are still gaps in our forum's library, it's by design.;))

JakeWasHere

Reaction score

^^^ What a coincidence. Lady_B and I just bought our vinyl copy yesterday.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online