Spanish Guitar: Rodrigo y Gabriela

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Rodrigo y Gabriela

Hey man, I've heard of this but never heard any of the music! I'm not an instrumental guy in general but this caught my attention. I especially like Atman with the spanish guitars going into a metal vibe by the end. :grinthumb Diablo Rojo is insane with the duel guitars, watching their fingers move, slapping against the guitar in rhythm! I really dig it! Thanks for posting this! :grinthumb

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score

I think they're really talented - have a couple albums by them.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah this is really awesome. Some of the best spanish guitar I've heard. The slapping, the headbanging, the talent. All top notch. All three of these tracks have an exciting feel about them. I'm hooked! Thanks for posting this!!!

:cheers2

Julie

Reaction score
I thought I'd revive this thread, as they are, well, friggin' awesome!! (I hope the thread maker doesn't mind I give some more info)

Rodrigo & Gabriela, or Rodgab is a mexican guitar duo, famous for their rhythmic and percussive guitar play and mix of rock music & flamenco. The leadguitarists name is Rodrigo Sánchez:
rodrigoygabriela.jpg

...And the chick is called Gabriela Quintero and she's the rhythmic guitarist:
rodrigoygabriela2.jpg
They were artistic outcasts in their home country (Mexico) for the mix of rock & flamenco wasn't well received but became well-liked in Dublin, where they performed in several bars. People there digged their stuff and they gained more and more popularity. In 2005 they performed at several festivals and their 2006 self-titled album became a huge hit in Europe. It contains covers such as the famous "stairway to heaven" from Led Zeppelin and "Orion" from Metallica. Ryg also contributed to Nightmare Revisited, the cover album of songs from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas with this great cover:

This (and an MTV appearance) gained them popularity in the US.
They released their album 11:11 in September 2009 and Alex Skolnick guests on the album:

Now they've become really big and are famous all over the world. They featured on the score from Pirates of the Caribbean: On stranger Tides from no one less then Hans Zimmer....

...and the score from Puss in Boots by Henry Jackman:

Discography:
2012 : Area 52
2011 : Live in France
2009 : 11:11
2008 : Live in Japan
2006 : Rodrigo y Gabriela
2004 : Live: Manchester and Dublin
2004 : Re-Foc

Some random facts for the fans:
- Rodrigo and Gabriela started dating as teenagers and they still are
- they both live a vegan lifestyle, support animal rights and they're using their music to get accross their message
- they appeared on Jay Leno's Tonight show

rodrigo5.jpg

rodrigo4.jpg

rodrigo3.jpg

rodrigo.jpg

Julie

Reaction score
I bought my ticket to their concert in Bristol on the 27th of November!!

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
They are huge TESTAMENT fans ( metal in general ). The guest guitar player on the first video is Testament's lead guitarist.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online