Southern Rock

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
So who is your favorite Southern Rock group?
Here is the top 10 southern rock songs of all time done by CMT.
I think I will have to go with the Allman Bros. Band as my favorite. Who woulda guessed that? :)

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd "Sweet Home Alabama"
2. The Allman Brothers Band"Ramblin' Man"
3. Lynyrd Skynyrd"Free Bird"
4. The Marshall Tucker Band"Can't You See"
5. The Charlie Daniels Band"The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
6. The Allman Brothers Band"Midnight Rider"
7. Hank Williams, Jr."All My Rowdy Friends Are Comin' Over Tonight"
8. Little Feat"Dixie Chicken"
9. .38 Special"Hold On Loosely"
10. Elvin Bishop"Fooled Around and Fell in Love"

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Blackfoot is my favorite southern rock band. The heaviest of them all IMO. MollyHatchet had it going on, especially their first two albums. Don't care for their stuff without Danny Joe Brown though. And of course I like the Allman's and Lynyrd Skynyrd as much as the next guy.

And although they aren't strictly southern rock, I'd like to give props for The Dixie Dregs.

Last edited:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
My favorite is the Allmans too. I also love Sknyrd, 70's era anyway, not the cheap styrofoam imitation that has been going around nowadays.

I see Elvin Bishop on this list. Until no too long ago, that song was all I knew of him, but I have come to find he is a hell of a blues guitarist.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I'd say Allman Brothers would be my favorite. Not a huge fan of Skynyrd but I think it's because I'm really over dosed on them. If I hear Freebird one more time I'm gonna have to break something. LOL

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Grinderswitch is a great lesser known southern rock band with ties to the Allman Brothers. I've got one live CD that I listen to quite often. Lynyrd Skynrd had some spin-offs with .38 Special being the most popular, but IMO The Rossington Collins Band was far superior although short lived.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
I'd say Allman Brothers would be my favorite. Not a huge fan of Skynyrd but I think it's because I'm really over dosed on them. If I hear Freebird one more time I'm gonna have to break something. LOL

*lol*...I have that tick too! And as if I hadnt heard Sweet Home Alabama enough, I also think of KFC every time I hear it now!

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for two years and damn if they didn't play an assload of Skynyrd on the radio. I drive to Tampa several times a year and every time I go through Jacksonville it's a given I'll hear some Lynyrd Skynyrd in that hour I'm passing through. They're hometown heros I suppose.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online