Genre: Vintage Rock / Classic Rock

Tracks:
01 - Black Woman
02 - Youngfire
03 - I Can't Be Loved
04 - Gimme Gimme
05 - Run Away
06 - The Hayfield Blues

The Hungarian vintage rockers' new record entitled '1975' is one of the biggest surprises I've happened to heard recently. According to the band website they formed in 2007 and released three albums ever since. Their label describes the latest EP as 'each strong enough as a single on its own. This is fabulous stuff' and I couldn't agree more.

The opening track called 'Black Woman' is an uptight rhythm & blues song and it instantly recalls the stomping vibe of Motown recordings. This ultimate kick-off of an album is followed by the classick rock anthem 'Youngfire' which brings back the free-spirited British Invasion sound.
The third title 'I Can't Be Loved' is the only 'outsider' of the album, as it shows obvious desires of the band to sound just as mainstream as the nu-folk revivalists Mumford and Sons. Nonetheless it's a well composed song with orchestral elements filling in at the end. Then comes the turnaround point of the album as 'Gimme Gimme' and 'Run Away' both kicks off with loud guitars, heavy drumbeats and cool hammond themes. However after 5 songs I felt the lyrics were a bit boring with too many sexual content in it, but the music was a relief as it sounds just like a modern version of The Kinks.
The ending title is just as surprising as the album in whole: The Hayfield Blues. This track is a classic a-capella delta blues and it's so haunting my stomach started to tremble with pain.

The only problem that it lacks the virtuoso style on each instruments, so don't expect fiery 5 minutes guitar solo and thunderous drumrolls. But these songs are so well composed that I did not felt any shortcoming.
These guys are bound for glory I'm telling you!

Rating: 4,5/5
Compared to the era: 3/5

Soulwave - Gimme Gimme video Soulwave - Gimme Gimme - YouTube

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online