Songs With Unusual Themes

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I was listening to 'If You Really Love Her, Let Her Go' by Chris Deburgh. The theme of the song is a plea by a man to the father of the woman that he loves to 'let her go', sung in a very eloquent and emotional way. It struck me as an unusual theme for a song.

What are some songs you know of that have unusual themes?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Unusual Theme For Songs

Fairies Wear Boots by Black Sabbath, on the Paranoid album, just seemed like a funny juxtaposition of ephemeral creatures wearing heavy footwear, but Ozzy later said it was about their hatred of skinheads (to which I could relate). I think it's one of Black Sabbath's best tracks too.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
In The Year 2525, by Zager & Evans, paints a bleak future of mankind, devolving back to a comatose-like state of being, at man's own hands. It tells the story of how too much technological advancement can be more harmful instead of helpful.

It reached #1 on the Hot 100 in 1969, and stayed there for 6 weeks.

This one was written by Rupert Holmes, and performed by The Buoys. Released in 1971, the song's story is three people trapped in a mine and resort to cannibalism. Apparently, Timothy was the main course. I think I remember reading years later that Holmes actually wrote the song in order to have it banned. I dunno, just guessin'.

TB_

Reaction score
Doesn't really count as "classical rock". But avenged sevenfold - a little piece of heaven

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Country Death Song: Violent Femmes

Tells the story of a drunken man overcome by madness and starvation. In order to "save" his child from the slow death of starvation, he pushes her into a deep well.

Aero

Reaction score
This one was written by Rupert Holmes, and performed by The Buoys. Released in 1971, the song's story is three people trapped in a mine and resort to cannibalism. Apparently, Timothy was the main course. I think I remember reading years later that Holmes actually wrote the song in order to have it banned. I dunno, just guessin'.

The same Rupert Holmes that wrote The Pina Colada Song?

If you like cannibalism
And getting trapped in a mine
If you're not into yoga
Then we should meet up some time

On second thought, his original lyrics sound better...

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
If I Was Your Mother. - Bon Jovi.
It's a Bed song, singed for a loveer dad to a beloved son. It's very nice and not an ussual theme

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
Frank Zappa & the Mothers - The Duke of Prunes

It's a song about...

the Duke of Prunes.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Almost every Blue Oyster Cult song ever recorded...:heheh:

I'm exaggerating just a little but their songs are unique to say the least.

Here's "Harvester of Eyes" from my favorite BOC record Secret Treaties.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online